Keto

Replies

• Hotelsma
    Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
    @psuLemon your right a lot of individual response. Iโ€™m glad I started this thread learning a lot from all ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited October 2019
    Too many things to hit quote on... So I'll wing it. I find it super easy to get fats in. Fats are cheaper and less filling in my opinion than trying to add more protein.

My typical day
    Breakfast: blonde coffee with half and half or heavy cream, cocoa powder, and stevia.

Lunch: a seasoned steak, seared in a couple of tbsps of olive oil and usually a couple of tbsps real butter. Cooked also with veggies: like broccoli, peppers, zucchini, asparagus, onions, mushrooms, cabbage, spinach, etc. Topped with cheeses (parmesan, blue cheese, feta, provolone, etc).

Dinner: seasoned chicken baked in olive oil and butter cooked with veggies. Sometimes fathead pizza, or shirataki noodles pad Thai with lots of veggies and beef or chicken, or taco salads (minus tortillas) with meats, mixed greens, avocado, cheddar, sour cream, salsa, black olives, cherry tomatoes, diced onion, cilantro. Spaghetti squash spaghetti. Everything always cooked in plenty of olive oil, coconut oil, and/or butter.

I eat homemade keto sweets: chocolate peanut butter coconut fat bombs, chocolate avocado ice cream, keto raw cookie dough.

Also snack on parmesan crisp, cheeses, coconut chips, oven roasted brussel sprouts (cut in halves, drizzled in olive oil, covered in parmesan),

I usually come in 25 or under net carbs (most days under 20). I never feel like I'm starving, and have lost significant amount (more rapidly than I expected).
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned in anyone's foods is fruits (unless I've missed it). I've heard varying stances on fruits being keto or not. Anyone know if fruits fit into a keto lifestyle?
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned in anyone's foods is fruits (unless I've missed it). I've heard varying stances on fruits being keto or not. Anyone know if fruits fit into a keto lifestyle?

Fruit isn't typically part of a keto diet, with the exception of berries which are typically lower carb. But you need to watch quantity even with berries as it adds up quickly.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

I eat fruit frequently, but its limited to berries. If i really want, ill eat some higher carb fruit and then not eat carbs the rest of the day. Pre-planning is really the way to go. And if you exercise, eating the carbs prior is more ideal.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Look at your total carbs to see if it fits.

I tended to always use up my carbs on vegetables plus either a serving of nuts or dairy, but people do eat some berries (raspberries and strawberries, for example). Avocados are easy to fit in.
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    Thank you nikkit321 psuLemon and lemurcat2 for the responses. I am still learning a lot as I go ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • Hotelsma
    edited October 2019
    As a rule I just stay away from all fruits. Iโ€™ve heard strawberries, blackberries and blueberries you might get away with but limited portion. If you lacking vitamin c you got a ton from spinach
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I just had keto pancakes, with whipping cream and strawberries! I do eat a spinach scrambled eggs during the week.
  • Hotelsma
    I just had keto pancakes, with whipping cream and strawberries! I do eat a spinach scrambled eggs during the week.

How do you make your pancakes.
  • Hotelsma
    @Emmapatterson1729 them fat bombs sound amazing, you must send us some pics
  • Jossymass
    Jossymass Posts: 6 Member
    Hey feel free to add me
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member

I eat fruits quite often, but generally stick to the extremely low sugar stuff. Blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and things like that. Occasionally I'll have a bit of melon or pineapple. I love pineapple. I just don't go crazy with it.

Tomatoes are a regular part of my diet and I'm fond of avocado when they aren't ridiculously priced.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited October 2019

I tried to incorporate fruits in during my second month, peaches, pears, nectarines, plums, oranges, etc... Was still coming in around 30-45 net carbs daily. I didn't like the way I started to feel, so I cut the fruit out, went back to oils, meats, and veggies.

And to the haters and disagreers:
    I started keto on June 10, 2019 in a size 20/22 (230 lbs) and am now in a size 10 (at my goal size and weight 155-160lbs) while eating 1400-2000 calories a day (only tracked to make sure I got enough calories in, because keto does kill the appetite) and very little working out. Now, I don't care if people want to click disagree; I don't care, because I feel absolutely wonderful! I have an open diary to friends and have taken frequent progress pictures where they show my body literally melting away, pretty much daily, thanks to fairly Clean Keto! ;P
  • Hotelsma
    @Emmapatterson1729 dammmm, can I move in, it all look gooood. So how many carbs would be in each slice of pizza and a single fat bomb?
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited October 2019
    @Hotelsma ... Thanks. Pizza is net carbs on a fully loaded pizza I made (onions, peppers, mushrooms, turkey sausage, pizza sauce, black olives, Mozzarella and Parmesan.

8ux8p9qg2g09.png

3blp2ezpnig1.png
  • Hotelsma
    @Emmapatterson1729 ๐Ÿ˜ณ that low. Man I need to get my backside in the kitchen. You should see the sorry state of my dinner ๐Ÿ˜. Feel free to post your other foods on here ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited October 2019
    @Emmapatterson1729 ๐Ÿ˜ณ that low. Man I need to get my backside in the kitchen. You should see the sorry state of my dinner ๐Ÿ˜. Feel free to post your other foods on here ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ

Made steak Alfredo last night --- seared steak (sometimes I do chicken thighs instead) in olive oil, put steak on plate and set aside to rest, let skillet cool for a few, to cooled skillet added a couple of tbsps butter, about 1/4 cup half and half/or heavy cream, added 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (I add more if I want it thicker), seasoned with garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, heated on low--stirring, sliced steak, added back into skillet...OMG it tasted great! Sometimes I add broccoli or zucchini. I love food!!

Check out the thread called "What does your low carb meal look like" in The Low Carber Daily Forum group on here... It's 80 pages of foods with pictures... Lots of inspiration to get in the kitchen!!
  • Hotelsma
    @Emmapatterson1729 thanks for the heads up ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ will take a look.