Post-novice Strength Training

Options
Just wanted to give my assessment of the post-novice (after SS or SL 5x5) programming styles I'm familiar with:

Texas Method: you are young and enjoy grinding heavy weights every session and eating tons of food

5/3/1: you are totally into heavy metal (no Five Finger Death Punch is not heavy metal)

Andy Baker: blue collar down to earth no nonsense programming

Barbell Medicine/Greg Nuckols et al: you enjoy reading page after page of scientific treatise

I know there are plenty other programs out there, what are your assessments?

:D

Replies

• jeffrey_ad
    jeffrey_ad Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    What do you think of Texas Method vs. Madcow?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    jeffrey_ad wrote: »
    What do you think of Texas Method vs. Madcow?
    I would say that Madcow is only slightly less grindy and eaty...
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I know this is a not an overly serious post, but I didn't think texas method was particularly grindy. I mean, it basically only has 2 heavy training days per week, one of which has you doing a single set of squats and a single set of ohp/bench. I might have my rose coloured glasses on, but looking back, those were the easy days of my training life.

But on topic: PHUL: For when you realise that running texas method left you fat and you want a program that is the exact opposite.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Eric helms muscle and strength training and nutrition pyramids have been a game changer for me. I’m surprised they aren’t referenced more on these boards. Loads of research on programming and diet condensed into 2 books. Really simple explanations of key concepts like volume, RPE wave loading etc.

I did run phul for awhile. It was ok but I found the power days a real grind.

I agree also that bar bell medicine stuff is superb. Like a well kept secret.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    I know this is a not an overly serious post...
    A little tongue-in-cheek but mostly serious.

There are a lot of post-novice programs out there that are for the most part effective. The #1 parameter for success seems to be buy in and compliance.

In my opinion one must find a program (and probably persona) that fits their personality so they will stick with it.

For example I find barbell medicine to be too deep into info I don’t care about and I think Jordan is arrogant and condescending, which he probably isn’t that’s just my opinion and perception. As such I don’t bother with the programming.

On the other hand I am a blue collar guy who likes heavy metal so Baker and Wendler resonate more with me so that’s who I follow...