Ab work - do you do it?

Options
I'm a 57 yr old female who's always had a big belly (no kids). Even in my late 40's at my best fitness level I had a 2 liter, not a 6 pack kind of belly. Apple to the core. ha I used to run, lift and do tons of ab work, still had a big belly - and yes, I know abs are made in the kitchen. I considered myself at goal at the time, I'm currently 10 pounds from my goal weight now.

I spend about 45 min at the gym most days, currently do strength training 3 times a week, and the rest cardio. I skip the ab stuff unless I'm in an occational bootcamp or yoga class.

Question is..do you do them, do you find a benefit? And what's the routine?

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Nope I don’t. I do a barbell based hypertrophy programme which has a lot of compound lifts eg squat and deadlifts. The person who wrote the programme - Eric helms- says direct ab work is not needed for most people who do this type of programme .
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Abs are “made” in the gym and “revealed” in the kitchen. Core strength is very important as we age. At 64, I always try to incorporate a few core specific exercises. I’m limited in what I can do due to neck/shoulder issues, so no crunches and few planks. But there are lots of others. Of course compound lifting hits your core as well. For me it’s about health, not appearance.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Like others, I lift.
    On my alternate days I do aqua fit, yoga and Pilates, they take care of any extra core work.
    I found belly dancing gave me my best core workout, but that isn’t offered anymore.

I’ve got, and will probably always have, a good jiggley covering over some decent abs. I’m not dedicated enough, or concerned enough, to try work it off.

Cheers, h.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    No, I don't do a lot of ab work. Occasionally I'll jump on the pull-up bar in my kitchen and do some windshield wipers or knee to elbows to make sure I still can, but I play with heavy logs, flip a massive tire, farmers walk heavy, deadlift heavy, and squat heavy - all without a lifting belt, ...among other things. My core gets hit plenty.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I do. I have a plank challenge on my phone and usually do 5 - 6 different variations, held between 45 seconds to 75 seconds, depending on the day. I use those as a warm-up to lifting and a break in the middle of certain sets.

For me, the planks have really helped with yoga, which I do 4 days per week.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Not really. A little bit in yoga class and maybe twice a week I throw in some core work.. only in a deficit though.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Yes. I asked my trainer to give me a program to help me run and swim stronger. It includes some ab work. I swim laps and do water fitness, so that has lots of ab work too. I love having good core strength. We do a lot of work on the pelvic floor in the water fitness class which benefits me greatly after 3 gigantic babies years ago...
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and started a few weeks ago to add ab crunches to my daily routine, but, I also try to be mindful of how my abs are my CORE so they have a role to play in just about every thing I ask my body to do.

So....I'm 'engaging' that core every chance I get. I read this trick in a ski magazine for how to engage the core: Imagine holding tight to a $100 bill with your butt cheeks. Yes, I can walk, talk, and sip my cocktail while holding this virtual bill!

I'm hoping that the ab crunchies I do daily will do even a little bit towards reducing the post-obesity saddle bag I'm now sporting.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Not often. I hit them indirectly a lot with pushups, chinups, and deadlifts I suppose. I probably should do them more often :(
  • BatmansKcak
    BatmansKcak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lying down leg raises with snail-pace slow lowering and raising is a killer ab exercise. I do the same with weights. Nothing quickly. Everything is active and controlled on the lifting up and especially on lowering it back down. Nothing is passive in either movement. Same with my legs. People who can do a hundred crunches quickly even find these slower exercises really intense.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I've been trying to get better at incorporating at least one ab workout in with my weight training. Not because I am looking for a six pack, but because a strong core is going to help me with my lifting (and life), belly fat or not. I genetically carry a lot of my fat on my belly, so I'm unlikely to have a six pack without being severely undernourished. It's about more than the aesthetic for me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Most people fall at the two extremes—either doing a lot of focused ab work (often doing below average exercises), or they follow the “compound lifts are all the core work you need” maxim.

Neither approach is ideal, IMO. Compound lifts are not a complete “core” workout, although they do help. Again IMO, most focused “abdominal” exercises—crunches, planks, twists—either lose effectiveness quickly or just train you to do those exercises better—they don’t train the core that well.

I think the best approach is a combination of compound lifts (done correctly of course) supplemented by a small/modest volume of focused core exercises.

To give an idea of what I think are the “better” types of core exercises:

Pallof press (done correctly—most people do these too fast)
    Weighted dead bugs, dead bug w/iso hold
    More progressive planks—e.g. long-lever, body saw, reach
    Rollouts
    Offset rack holds—with step ups, lunges, squats, etc; also various offset carries
    Suitcase deadlifts

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I do very little actual ab work (well when compared to everything else I do). Do some sit ups, leg raises etc in class...

...what I do do is compound lifting, which works the core.
    Plus I've recently started doing PiYo daily and this week my core is really feeling the love. Lots of planks, down dogs, and balancing is really making itself known
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Most people fall at the two extremes—either doing a lot of focused ab work (often doing below average exercises), or they follow the “compound lifts are all the core work you need” maxim.

Neither approach is ideal, IMO. Compound lifts are not a complete “core” workout, although they do help. Again IMO, most focused “abdominal” exercises—crunches, planks, twists—either lose effectiveness quickly or just train you to do those exercises better—they don’t train the core that well.

I think the best approach is a combination of compound lifts (done correctly of course) supplemented by a small/modest volume of focused core exercises.

To give an idea of what I think are the “better” types of core exercises:

Pallof press (done correctly—most people do these too fast)
    Weighted dead bugs, dead bug w/iso hold
    More progressive planks—e.g. long-lever, body saw, reach
    Rollouts
    Offset rack holds—with step ups, lunges, squats, etc; also various offset carries
    Suitcase deadlifts

Love these as a plank progression

https://youtu.be/qjZuoKtI3Xc

You can vary the number of balls based on ability
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I do, as part of my core work. I need it for back health. My quality of life was worse when I didn't do that. I still manage to get a herniated disc sometimes, but it doesn't happen as often as it used to. My exercises are mostly bodyweight plus bands for certain movements and heavy (for me) jugs for suitcase and farmer walks. My work is usually focused on core endurance more than strength because that's what helps me the most. I never do typical crunches or setups because they kill my back.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes I do specific core work including but not exclusively ab work to help support my damaged back - generally the stronger my core the less back problems I get.
    Unusually I do a high volume of sit ups and other exercises on a gym ball (virtually cardio for abs) as strength endurance for my core muscles as a long distance cyclist is more important to be me than absolute strength or aesthetics.

One of the few compliments I got from a very high standard but ultra critical cycling mate was on a 100+ mile ride when he said he could see my legs were completely shot but I was still maintaining a stable core. That's why I do it - not to look pretty on the beach! ;)

Agree with @Azdak about the value of Pallof presses, often I can't do rotational exercises and Pallof presses allow me to work my core without grinding my facet joints. You do get sideways looks from fellow gym users who don't really understand what the exercise is doing.

But TBH I wouldn't recommend my routines to the general gym population who don't have the same goals and disabilities as me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I do some direct ab work at the end of my workout. Not a ton...usually just one movement for how many ever reps and sets my trainer tells me. Usually hanging leg raises, roll outs, or leg lifts and some planking.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yes I do specific core work including but not exclusively ab work to help support my damaged back - generally the stronger my core the less back problems I get.
    Unusually I do a high volume of sit ups and other exercises on a gym ball (virtually cardio for abs) as strength endurance for my core muscles as a long distance cyclist is more important to be me than absolute strength or aesthetics.

One of the few compliments I got from a very high standard but ultra critical cycling mate was on a 100+ mile ride when he said he could see my legs were completely shot but I was still maintaining a stable core. That's why I do it - not to look pretty on the beach! ;)

Agree with @Azdak about the value of Pallof presses, often I can't do rotational exercises and Pallof presses allow me to work my core without grinding my facet joints. You do get sideways looks from fellow gym users who don't really understand what the exercise is doing.

But TBH I wouldn't recommend my routines to the general gym population who don't have the same goals and disabilities as me.

This concurs with the instructions I was given when I strained my SI joint. "A lot of times with back pain we blame tight hamstrings when the real culprit is a weak core."
    Unfortunately, I had both problems. Hamstrings engaging when my glutes should have and weak hip flexors. So now I include hip thrusts on leg day and also target my hip flexors when doing core work (instead of deliberately leaving them out like many articles about ab work recommend).