Help!

Options
Ok, so i'm not new to MFP but I can't find help from anywhere...ANYWHERE. i recently got a new phone and my fitbit app and MFP aren't syncing properly for some reason and I don't know how to sort it. I've spoken to Fitbit and they say the issue is with MFP.
I walked to work this morning and Fitbit says it 'earned' around 200 calories; MFP said 78. I tried syncing and it said everything was syncing fine, but MFP still said 78 calories. I uninstalled the app, disconnected the 2 apps and reconnected them. Now MFP says i've 'earned' 62 calories...it's gone down! Can't really believe this is because I got a new phone, surely it should work on all handsets. I just want to ask someone at MFP to help but there is no contact information (have been to the help website but there's nothing there.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    What activity level do you have set in MFP?

The calorie adjustment you received in MFP is not the amount of calories you've burned in the day but the difference between your anticipated activity level for the day from MFP and your anticipated activity level based on your activity level so far over the day.

For example I have my MFP account set to Lightly Active (which accounts for about 4500 steps per my Garmin watch over the day).

The 200 calories that Fitbit says you have earned is specifically for that walk, your adjustment in MFP is to say that you're expecting to go slightly above the activity level you have set in MFP.
  • northend2014
    northend2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ah right, i'll have a look, thank you. Not sure why it's changed settings just from changing phones. It's always synced up normally before. Usually the exercise from my fitbit transfers straight onto MFP. Thanks!

I have 'lightly active' set too but that's always been the case. Just trying to find what setting has changed between changing handsets
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Ah right, i'll have a look, thank you. Not sure why it's changed settings just from changing phones. It's always synced up normally before. Usually the exercise from my fitbit transfers straight onto MFP. Thanks!

I have 'lightly active' set too but that's always been the case. Just trying to find what setting has changed between changing handsets

Do you normally sync it during the day or only in the evenings?
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Mine hasn’t been automatically synching exercise either for some reason... I just enter it in manually using the calories FitBit gives me.
  • northend2014
    Options

Do you normally sync it during the day or only in the evenings?

It syncs continuously I think. Wondering if its an issue with the app on Android (im moving from apple to android)
  • northend2014
    Options
    Also, I've seen a few posts on here saying to contact MFP directly, but how do I do that?!
  • sugarismyweakness
    sugarismyweakness Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @northend2014 If you go on settings at the top of the screen (or in the menu if you're using your phone) there is a selection called 'Contact Us' and you can go from there.

I have reported a problem to them a few different times going through that route.

Hope you fix your issue! Best of luck! :)
  • northend2014
    Options
    Yeah i've tried that but it just sends me to the FAQs. On there there's an option to contact but it's not really contacting them, you just type a question and it sees if it has articles relating to that. I've only had this phone 1 day and already wanting my iphone back!
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Yeah i've tried that but it just sends me to the FAQs. On there there's an option to contact but it's not really contacting them, you just type a question and it sees if it has articles relating to that. I've only had this phone 1 day and already wanting my iphone back!

On the web version choose submit a request, when you get to the bottom of relevant questions it gives you an option to contact support.
  • northend2014
    Options

On the web version choose submit a request, when you get to the bottom of relevant questions it gives you an option to contact support.

Thanks I've submitted the question now. Fingers crossed I can get this sorted
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

The calorie adjustment you received in MFP is not the amount of calories you've burned in the day but the difference between your anticipated activity level for the day from MFP and your anticipated activity level based on your activity level so far over the day.

For example I have my MFP account set to Lightly Active (which accounts for about 4500 steps per my Garmin watch over the day).

The 200 calories that Fitbit says you have earned is specifically for that walk, your adjustment in MFP is to say that you're expecting to go slightly above the activity level you have set in MFP.

OP, I think this is really the answer that you're looking for. Is it possible that you just never before compared the numbers from Fitbit and MFP to notice this has been happening the whole time?

I believe your synced exercise calories can go down, if you are very active in the morning and it looks like you are going to far outpace your expected activity level, but then sit around and do nothing for a big chunk of the day. MFP is trying to predict your total calorie needs for the day based on what you've done so far.
  • northend2014
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

OP, I think this is really the answer that you're looking for. Is it possible that you just never before compared the numbers from Fitbit and MFP to notice this has been happening the whole time?

I believe your synced exercise calories can go down, if you are very active in the morning and it looks like you are going to far outpace your expected activity level, but then sit around and do nothing for a big chunk of the day. MFP is trying to predict your total calorie needs for the day based on what you've done so far.

I have read about this but i'm a bit weird about checking both apps and monitor them throughout the day (more than I should!) and MFP has always been reflective of my fitbit app. I suppose it's not the end of the world, just strange really
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

Fitbit has never sent the workouts it has logged to MFP for showing or accounting for. It's merely contained in the daily total calories burned (TDEE).

And the Fitbit adjustment that happens to be shown under Exercise Diary will rarely if ever exactly match what Fitbit said a workout burned.

MFP estimates the rest of the day after the Fitbit update of TDEE and timestamp as your selected activity level. Not based on what you've done so far. So being set to Lightly-Active means it's expecting a bit of movement.

If on the next sync (which occurs when 100 cal higher than prior sync) Fitbit shows MFP you've burned less than it was accounting for - adjustment will go down.

That's why some people discover a really hard intense workout first thing in morning burning say 400 calories that shows up as big adjustment could slowly disappear by the end of the day if it wiped you out so much you were much less active rest of the day.