Knee pain from cycling

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
A few months ago I purchased a new bike. The new bike is awesome, except for the fact that it kills my knees after more than 3-4 miles. At first I was really concerned, because I have always enjoyed cycling far more than running, so my girlfriend and I tend to swap back and forth between cycling and running.

Here's the weird thing - running causes no knee pain whatsoever. But if I hop on my bike and ride a few miles or so my knees start hurting. I don't know what the correct way to go is. I've had the bike shop make sure the bike was properly sized and adjusted for me, and they don't know what could be causing it at this point. Its frustrating. Has anyone else run into an issue like this? Its bizarre.

Replies

• Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this problem, here is an article on livestrong, hope it helps

http://www.livestrong.com/article/399109-knee-pain-while-cycling/
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The only 2 reasons that I know of that you could be experiencing knee pain related only to cycling is a) your bike is too small or b) you're not using the proper muscles to peddle. Try taking a cycling clinic.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You took the right first step and got the bike fitted. What gear are you riding in? Are spinning or pedaling to hard? I know I have experienced some knee pain but I think as my my knees/legs have gotten stronger the pain has alleviated. If I am riding in too high of a gear (working harder), my knees can occasionally bother me.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this problem, here is an article on livestrong, hope it helps

http://www.livestrong.com/article/399109-knee-pain-while-cycling/

Great Article!!

One thing to add is if you are giving enough time for rest in between cycling sessions? When I started back into cycling last May i had the same problems with my knees, had to give it 2-3 days between sessions. Once my body time to adjust, I was able to go on longer rides with only 1 day in between sessions.
  • muthrb
    muthrb Posts: 16
    Options
    In addition to the livestrong article:

Keep your cadence between 70 and 90. Never lower than 50.
    Keep "tight to the bike" that is, keep your knees in towards the frame so that they are in the same plane as your pedals.
    Adjust toe clips or cleats so that your toes do not angle in and your heels don't angle out.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    While I appreciate the advice, I doubt I'm cycling incorrectly - I've been doing it almost every day for a few years (bike commuting), over much greater distances than the ones that are currently causing me pain. I did stop for a few months when I moved from my old location to the new one, so maybe its because I'm trying to jump back into it where I left off? Is a 14 mile ride that harsh - especially when only coming back from a few months break?

The two real concerns I have are A) the bike's geometry is significantly different from my previous bikes that it could be causing leg to be at a weird angle. I'll need to assemble a plumbob and a protractor to really find that one out. The other option is that the seat needs to be moved back or forward, which I haven't done (and the bike shop didn't think needed to be done).

I am peddling actively. Gears are being switched to keep an 80 RPM cadence (with some exceptions, lots of crazy hills in my town where climbing is necessary).

Any other ideas?
  • muthrb
    muthrb Posts: 16
    Options
    Seat position is important. You might want to try getting a second opinion on the bike fitting. I find that small changes in seat position cause strain in my knees.