New to Keto

Options
Hello all,

I recently told by my doctor that I'm pre-diabetic and I need to cut my carbs. I'm 39 years old and 168 lbs, but don't look that heavy. Needless to say I was shocked.

I started Keto journey today and my goal is no more than 20g of carbs. Just hope I don't get the keto flu.

I love carbs so I know this may be difficult.

Replies

• DonnaL1959
    DonnaL1959 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've just started Keto this morning. I also love carbs. I am going to look into the bread substitutes. I have a couple of good books to guide me. I was pre-diabetic at my last blood test review also.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,001 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    DiegoQueen wrote: »
    Hello all,

I recently told by my doctor that I'm pre-diabetic and I need to cut my carbs. I'm 39 years old and 168 lbs, but don't look that heavy. Needless to say I was shocked.

I started Keto journey today and my goal is no more than 20g of carbs. Just hope I don't get the keto flu.

I love carbs so I know this may be difficult.

I too was pre-diabetic last April. My Dr said to cut carbs to 100 g or less a day. I did that for the first 50 lbs and then slowly increased them to 150 net carbs. Just got 6 month follow up lab results and my A1C went from 6.1 to 5.2 I lost 75 lbs in that time frame and exercise 6 days a week. You don't need to go to KETO carb lows to do it. I now have 150-250 net carbs a day to fuel my workouts and overall keep my sanity :) PS...Buy a food scale and weigh everything you eat and stay at a calorie deficit consistently. Good luck.
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto for 1 month 5 days. When I first started keto I made sure I got salt intake. It was the 2 nd day and I was starting to get a little dizzy and a small headache so I started to drink water and added salt to it. That help a lot. And never actually got the keto flu. There are recipes on Pinterest for keto bread if you are looking for alternatives I’ve made one and it’s not bad.
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oh and I’ve got rid of 10.5 lbs and I only have 3.5 to go. But I will prob stay on this keto journey BC I am feeling great on it. After 1 more month I may eat a real carb 1 meal but then back on keto.
  • susieholsome
    susieholsome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started my keto journey yesterday as well, 10/14/2019. We'll see how it goes. I have a target carb level that MyFitnessPal seems to not read the same way my doctor told me to count carbs. She said to net out dietary fiber from the total. The website counts total carb, instead of total carb minus dietary fiber. Anyone else have this problem?