Knowledge is Power, and Sometimes it is Shocking

Options
We don't eat out that much but I decided to look up the nutritional values for the meal I usually get at one of my favorite restaurants, Panera Bread. I usually get the "You Pick Two" deal with 1/2 Turkey Artichoke Foaccia sandwich and broccoli cheddar soup. It was higher in calories, fat and carbs than I suspected but wasn't the worst thing on the menu. Still, it was an eye-opener. The sodium was very high too. Even the salads, which I would think would be healthier choices, were pretty high in carbs, fat and sodium.

More shocking was the Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl I sometimes get at Applebee's. Talk about an eye-opener. It has 1,709 calories, 69 grams of fat, 209 grams of carbohydrate, 63 grams of protein, and 1781 mg. of sodium. Wow. I really had no idea. The shock continued as I looked up the Chicken Ceasar Salad I got at Chili's Bar and Grill last time: 900 calories, 71 grams of fat, 1740 mg. of sodium.

This doesn't mean I can't ever enjoy a meal out, but it does mean I have to choose better, plan ahead, or least go into it knowing full well what the meal contains so I won't be in denial. Most of the chain restaurants have the nutritional info on their websites so next time we go to one of them I can check ahead of time so I'm prepared to make better choices.

Replies

• tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! I always try to pre-log if I am going out to eat. I feel myself go into a slight panic mode when a restaraunt doesn't have their nutritional information posted. :laugh:

In those instances I'll search for something as close as possible and usually add some calories to the count just in case.

Knowledge is power!! Good for you for looking it up! :drinker:
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    It is shocking. I'm not afraid to ask for modifications though. We sometimes go to Carrabas. They have a shrimp and scallop meal with bread crumbs and lemon butter sauce. I have them skip the bread crumbs and sauce and opt to have the seafood grilled. It cuts around 500 calories off of the dish!
  • healthhiro
    healthhiro Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do any of these restaurants have that info on the menu?
  • JohnFurie
    Options
    Yeah the great think about living where I do- near Seattle,WA and specifically in King county is that they passed a law where all resteraunts have to post nutritional info. It is amazing what I thought was ok, turns out to be terrible. I am still shocked that it is hard to find a meal with low sodium.
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Do any of these restaurants have that info on the menu?

Not usually on the menu itself, but most have info for each dish listed online if they are a chain restaurant. Some have it posted at the restaurant or have it upon request.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Ooooh my goodness... Agreed! My favorite foods were the ones with the highest calorie count. I was sick after realizing how bad a plate of Cajun Chicken Pasta from Chili's Bar and Grill is. It's what my husband always eats, but I will never touch that meal again!! :sad:
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't even look up the Chicken Fajita Salad at Chili's.... yikes!!!

It is rather shocking.... and very scary. Like you said... the sodium alone is killer!!! I try to figure out ahead of time too what I'm going to eat. I often try to choose grilled chicken or grilled seafood, etc.... We can't live in a bubble and never go out, so... the best thing we can do is arm ourselves with this information.
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    My husband loves Chili's, I always get the margarita grilled chicken. Its only 550 cal and I can usually only eat 1/2 of it!
  • Maagrie
    Maagrie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The Paneras in MN do have the calories listed on the menu. At least of the whole portions or the large sizes.
  • lintul57
    Options
    Applebees has quite a few lower calorie choices on their menu. It is unbelievable when I look up the calories, fat and sodium on most dishes that are served in restaurants. I usually cook at home, but when I do go out, I try to order something vegetarian, or grilled seafood with veggies. I am new on this site and would love to lose about 20 lbs. I started tracking my daily calories. I didn't think I was overeating, but it it amazing how fast they add up. I used to walk 2 miles a day and stopped about a year ago. My goal is to start doing that again. (Most of my weight has been gained in the past 18 months.)
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yep, Panera is so much worse than I realized! If I go out to a restaurant (which is pretty rare anymore), I try to look up the meals before ordering them (I use my phone while looking at the menu). I've passed over quite a few things by doing that!
  • venom74799
    Options
    I've noticed that typically the things we think are healthy are the worst offenders at these type of chains. I have no problems whipping out my phone to check on here to see if my meal is reasonable.
  • AquaFan
    AquaFan Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It is eye opening. I try and keep my restaurant trips down, but if we do go out, I skip the potatoes and try and get someone to split a meal with me. Or I force myself to just eat half reminding myself it isn't the last time I'll ever be able to it. LOL
  • kikican82
    Options
    In certain cities they mandate that chains post that info. I just moved to a city where they don't post that info and it's annoying not having it right there. My little iphone is handy, but its more convenient to have everything listed in front of you for comparison purposes.
  • JS70
    JS70 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I found myself at the food court in the mall last weekend. I didn't want to ruin everything that I had done for the last 2 weeks so I just sat there for a while. I couldn't get myself to eat without knowing the nutritional content. I finally realized that chick-fil-a had a booklet on their calorie content and was able to get a grilled chicken sandwich. I am amazed at the calories in some of the things I used to eat before starting on this site!
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!! My husband and I recently went to TGI Friday's where I spent over 20 minutes trying to calculate the calories of their "low calorie or less than 750 calorie" menu items. It was very frustrating for me and my husband who was trying to patiently wait while I figured out my options. After much deliberation, I chose my favorite dish ( Bruschetta chicken pasta) and only ate 1/2 the serving, without bread and was able to enjoy my choice and not feel guilty!! I will plan better in the future. Their low calorie option were not so much "low calorie" and very little food to boot! Lesson learned!
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    I don't eat at fast food chains and so find it hard to get nurtitional info. I always ask for dressing on the side-& don't use it!
    I know if I knew how many calories were in some of the 'healthy-ish' meals I eat at cafe's and restaurants I would be shocked. So eating out is always curtailed ++ when trying to lose weight. I just meet my friends for drinks instead or my bf will get takeaway (and a dish with red meat which I don't eat) and I'll make my own.
    It works. But I wish I could know the calories of the dishes and go out more!
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! I always try to pre-log if I am going out to eat. I feel myself go into a slight panic mode when a restaraunt doesn't have their nutritional information posted. :laugh:

In those instances I'll search for something as close as possible and usually add some calories to the count just in case.

Knowledge is power!! Good for you for looking it up! :drinker:

LOL I'm with you on the panic mode. I'm the same way.

We eat out every Friday and my poor family is getting so sick of Rubio's because it's close, cheap and I practically have their nutrition values by heart LOL.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!! My husband and I recently went to TGI Friday's where I spent over 20 minutes trying to calculate the calories of their "low calorie or less than 750 calorie" menu items. It was very frustrating for me and my husband who was trying to patiently wait while I figured out my options. After much deliberation, I chose my favorite dish ( Bruschetta chicken pasta) and only ate 1/2 the serving, without bread and was able to enjoy my choice and not feel guilty!! I will plan better in the future. Their low calorie option were not so much "low calorie" and very little food to boot! Lesson learned!

I get the Key West Shrimp at TGI Fridays. Comes with a side of broccoli for under 300 calories total, so I can still get a salad or share an appetizer if I want.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have found some lower-cal favorites and little tweeks that make other choices better. I have also been know to ask for a box BEFORE my meal comes and put 1/2- 3/4 of the food away before I start eating so I will have the right amount of cals to not go over. I'm glad you figured out what was sabotaging your weight loss goals when you eat out. I use to eat out all the time so no wonder I got so big. I still eat out but a lot less.