My body is not a garbage disposal

Options
This has become one of my mantras. A little rule that keeps me from eating the leftover Chinese food in the fridge. It keeps me from eating every last french fry on the plate long after I'm full. It keeps me from eating crappy break room donuts just because they're there and they're free.

"My body is not a garbage disposal" has saved me from a lot of wasted calories that I used to consume just because something was sitting in front of me. I had to get comfortable with throwing away food. If I order dessert and it's just meh, I don't finish it. I don't bring it home. Because, duh, I'm not a garbage disposal. Somehow, it's helped me really identify what's "worth" eating and recognize when I'm actually full vs. just on auto pilot and shoveling food in.

Since I've started using this mantra, the amount of times I've looked at a plate of food and been like, "Ya know, I don't have to finish this." has been, honestly, eye opening.

What little "rules" and mantras have helped you in your journey?

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I don't have any mantras but I get mad at my husband when he says "You're wasting all that food"

"I tell him this why there is an obesity problem in the US we were raised to FINISH everything on our plates!!" Leave me alone. If I say I am full that means I am full it doesn't matter what's left on my plate.

As an aside, I don't think that's the reason for the obesity problem in the US.

I agree. We spent the first year or so of our lives using diapers. We have outgrown that.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    bhop2982 wrote: »
    This has become one of my mantras. A little rule that keeps me from eating the leftover Chinese food in the fridge. It keeps me from eating every last french fry on the plate long after I'm full. It keeps me from eating crappy break room donuts just because they're there and they're free.

"My body is not a garbage disposal" has saved me from a lot of wasted calories that I used to consume just because something was sitting in front of me. I had to get comfortable with throwing away food. If I order dessert and it's just meh, I don't finish it. I don't bring it home. Because, duh, I'm not a garbage disposal. Somehow, it's helped me really identify what's "worth" eating and recognize when I'm actually full vs. just on auto pilot and shoveling food in.

Since I've started using this mantra, the amount of times I've looked at a plate of food and been like, "Ya know, I don't have to finish this." has been, honestly, eye opening.

What little "rules" and mantras have helped you in your journey?

That's excellent. I've had the same "I'm not a garbage disposal" thought before, too. Thanks for writing this!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like that mantra. I don't really have a mantra. I just know that I had to make some major lifestyle adjustments even after losing weight because I want to be well. For the most part, I'm happy with my lifestyle changes, but sometimes, I get a little irritated with the restrictions, but that's life.