Keto Ratio: How to Achieve a Target Fat to Protein plus Carbs Ratio Question

Options
Just started keto about two weeks ago. Here is my issue: I'm able to reduce carbs without an issue. However, in terms of fats and proteins, there seem to be a lot foods that have high protein and low fat, but not many foods that have high fat and low protein. In order to get the amount of fat needed for 70-25-5 (or 2:1) I find myself having to chug a few tablespoons of olive oil. Anyone else experience the same issue? I'd like to be able to achieve the objective amounts through food and not by supplementing fat intake with oil (or butter etc). Don't get me wrong, I like oil on a salad, but I don't want to douse the salad with oil just to hit a target number. Any suggestions?

Replies

• tula23
    tula23 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fat bombs are a way to get extra fats. Look on Pinterest for lots of recipes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The only thing that matters for ketosis is cutting carbs. And if anything, the second thing to focus on is hitting protein goals. Fats are a filler and there is no need to just add more fats for erroneous number.
  • jamiedowney390
    jamiedowney390 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve found the intermittent fasting really important, I’ve been going hard for three weeks and only the last week and half I’ve found the weight loss take off , noticeably, I do 20 hour fasts I stop eating at 6.30pm and break my fast usually it ends up being 4.00pm by the time I get back from the gym , training fasted seems to work to , I only do the fasts 3 times a week and apparently that’s better for someone over 40 3-4 times a week for 20 hours , 16/8 seems to suit younger people according to Thomas Delauer , he goes a bit over the top on some things for a lifestyle though .
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The only thing that matters for ketosis is cutting carbs. And if anything, the second thing to focus on is hitting protein goals. Fats are a filler and there is no need to just add more fats for erroneous number.

*This* is what I was attempting to explain in my reply. Fat bombs are completely unnecessary and are just adding calories for calories sake.