Shin Splints

Options
Hi guys.

Has anyone had any success of dealing with shin splints? I love running but for a good years now shin splints have been getting the better of me. Usually I would just run through the pain but it’s getting increasingly more difficult to do that. I also cycle which takes the pressure of my shins but it would be great if I could run freely again

Replies

• cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with shin splints due to running. This is what helped me.

I never run on consecutive days. I stretch my shins and calves after every run. I also periodically do some exercises that specifically target that area. (Ex: alternate tapping toes and heels while sitting in a chair with you legs stretched out on the floor; walking around on toes and then on heels) I have also used compression sleeves. Ice and/or ibuprofen on the days when the pain is bad. Running on the treadmill can be a good alternative to outdoors because it is a softer surface. Anytime I increase mileage, I do so very conservatively. Some people also say the shoes you wear make a difference, but I have not noticed that to be true.

Mostly it just took time and lots of running in order for my body to adapt. You have to be careful when judging whether the pain is normal shin pain because it could easily turn into stress fractures if you run through it. If you suspect you need a rest, then take it.

You may not progress as quickly as you would like, but I enjoy running and I feel like it’s been worth the struggle.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I too had shin splints. My first step was to replace my shoes. I run every other day, I stretch and foam roll after each run. I also found incorporating lifting weights helpful. Don't add mileage too fast!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    If you haven’t already go to a running store to be fitted for running shoes. Every runner has a different gait and having a shoe that’s appropriate for your gait makes a huge difference. Then start back to running slowly adding no more than a 10% increase in mileage per week.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It is really a hard problem and I think the best approach is laying off when it hurts. Shoes are rarely the problem. Take up alternative sports to minimize the damage (cycling, spinning, swimming, rowing, kayaking). Strengthening exercises, compression sleeves, rolling, ice, and/or ibuprofen can all help.
  • mads_o86
    mads_o86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cbihatt wrote: »
    I have dealt with shin splints due to running. This is what helped me.

I never run on consecutive days. I stretch my shins and calves after every run. I also periodically do some exercises that specifically target that area. (Ex: alternate tapping toes and heels while sitting in a chair with you legs stretched out on the floor; walking around on toes and then on heels) I have also used compression sleeves. Ice and/or ibuprofen on the days when the pain is bad. Running on the treadmill can be a good alternative to outdoors because it is a softer surface. Anytime I increase mileage, I do so very conservatively. Some people also say the shoes you wear make a difference, but I have not noticed that to be true.

Mostly it just took time and lots of running in order for my body to adapt. You have to be careful when judging whether the pain is normal shin pain because it could easily turn into stress fractures if you run through it. If you suspect you need a rest, then take it.

You may not progress as quickly as you would like, but I enjoy running and I feel like it’s been worth the struggle.

All of the above plus this one: keep a medium sized rubber ball (bigger than an ping pong ball, smaller than a tennis ball. Some dog toys are great) in the shower. Roll it under your feet as you shower (either every time or just after runs).

This is incredibly helpful and really relaxes the whole area, including tendons cramping in your shin
  • ben_milner
    ben_milner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replays. I'll be sure to take your advice into action