How do you get the most of out of walking?

Options
Hi All

On average I take around 11,500 steps but as I have a desk job the majority of these steps come from the 45 minute walk in the morning to work (home to childs school then from school to work) then 30 minutes walking home after work but how can I get the most out of this walk by turning it into a more intense walk as I feel like its a wasted 1hr and 15 min.

Does anyone have a similar walking time and use it to say power walk or something like that?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I used to do walking as my primary source of exercise. I tried to keep it interesting. First things that come to mind to increase your walking intensity:
    • Use hand weights
    • Weighted vest
    • Power walk
    • Jog...or a run
    • Do lunges
    • Find a place on your way to or from work that has steps and get stepping
  • butterfly_2019
    butterfly_2019 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes hand weights are a good one or ankle weights?

Jog or run isn't an option as I don't have my running gear on and I would feel all sweaty arriving to work after jog/run. I work in a city centre and my walk to and from work consists of busy roads so no where to stop to do steps....I've tried the power walk thing but I don't really feel like I'm power walking - maybe I could try this again.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Walking isn't the most intense exercise but it is one of the most recommended. It's gentler to the body overall, great for cardiovascular health, and has less chance of injury. It's exercise and one of the best!

I never recommend extra weight (unless maybe planning a backpacking trip) because it causes more injuries (joints, back issues, etc. ).

You can always go the "circuit training" approach and just simply take 1 minute at each "good location" to do some addition exercise. (Push ups, sit ups, burpees, pull ups).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate to live on 10 acres that are mostly woods, with pretty steep hills that my husband cleared trails on and keeps groomed for hiking. My dog joins me on my walks everyday. I have had a Fitbit for 6 years and get 15k steps per day. About 22-25 equivalent staircases. This is my main form of exercise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Any forward movement that covers XX distance is good.

You could always take an extra lap around the block, but the 45 minutes is not "wasted" - it still takes XX amount of energy to move yourself from point A to point B. So, either increase the intensity and keep the time in minutes the same (which would increase the distance) or increase the distance and take a few more minutes. Six of one...
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I hike or walk every day, 7 days a week... and I have two active, STRONG male dogs on leads going with me. Between my walking itself, and controlling 2 dogs that want to chase EVERY deer, hog, raccoon, rabbit, or squirrel that we cross paths with (which are quite a few daily!), I get a good leg workout AND a great upper body/arm working daily! lol

But to up the calorie burn, I incorporate walking lunges. I do 20 lunges (10 per leg) every mile that I walk, with squats every time I have to wait for the dogs to sniff, mark, or do their business.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I intensify my walks by adding speed. My legs feel it the next day when I walk so fast that it would be easier to run 😆. Maybe a weighted vest? Try Rucking?
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Any kind of movement is beneficial but you’re not going to get the same benefit from a leisurely stroll as you would from a pace of 15 min/mile (4MPH) or more. I’m not saying you’re only “strolling”. You may be doing your walking at a pretty good clip. What distance are you covering in those 75 minutes? My knees aren’t in great shape but they easily tolerate that pace. I do a little over 5 miles in the morning wearing a 40# vest at about 14 min/mile and around another 2 miles most days at lunch (a little slower and without the vest). Just to get off my butt and get a little fresh air.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Being able to walk at a consistent 15mm pace (or whatever works for you) is a great challenge!
  • butterfly_2019
    Options
    Hey, I'm not entirely 100% sure what distance I'm covering but take yesterday I did 11,558 steps (again the majority comes from my morning and evening walk to and from work) and the distance according to fitbit was 4.28km.

If I set my fitbit as though I'm "working out" on my way home I'll be able to see what pace/distance I am doing won't I? - Shall I do this?

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Not ankle weights.

But if you've got hills or stairs along the way you could incorporate them.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/ankle-weights/faq-20058222

Just keep it interesting. I live in the Midwest and know that I won't walk outside when it's snowy. Walking videos help during the winter months.
  • butterfly_2019
    Options
    So I set my fitbit as though I was "working" and increased my pace...Fitbit says in 20mins I walked 1.19km at a pace of 16.49...I defintely increased pace because I got home just short of 22minutes when it normally takes my 30mins and my calves were aching haha! I'll start increasing my pace I think to make it more interesting!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I walk throughout the day and I focus on reaching my daily mile goal, not so much timing, but this is what I do to amp things up:

Outdoor Walking

- Sometimes I use a weighted vest.
    - Interval walking (walk/jogs or fast/slow walks).
    - Pumping my arms and getting my elbows back there.
    - I add in hill runs on my walk.
    - Incorporate bodyweight work in between miles on the track. I'll do burpees, walking lunges, pull ups or run up and down the stairs on a football field etc.
    - Walking my puppy is such great exercise. He walks so fast and is very energetic.
    - I created a playlist with music that has a high bpm (beats per minute) and I keep up my pace up with the beat.

Indoor Walking (I use walking at home workouts)
    - I take things to the next level at times using light wrist weights, ankle weights, light hand weights or I'll use a resistance band.

- I put intensity into the workout such as lifting my knees higher or raising my arms.

- If I'm doing a longer walk sometimes I will jog in place for a mile and continue with the regular workout for the next mile, jog the mile after that etc.