Favorite waterproof fitness watch?

I currently have a FitBit Charge HR that I purchased as a refurb 3 years ago - originally I bought it mainly for sleep and daily heart rate tracking. Now that I am running and biking more, with swimming on the horizon (not to mention ample kayaking and SUPing in warm weather) I am wondering what waterproof options are out there? And their general
price ranges?

If it is one you use or have used, what are your likes and dislikes?

Replies

• Girlheidi
    Girlheidi Posts: 60 Member
    Just bought a vivo active 3 from Garmin. Cheap as they have released version 4. Currently on sale in Costco for 170.....version 4 is 450!
    GPS enabled and is seeming to do the job.
    Does sleep tracking, syncs to mfp and is waterproof.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Garmin Fenix.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Garmin vivoactive 3
  • xrunlukerunx
    xrunlukerunx Posts: 37 Member
    Garmin Instinct
  • allbregra
    allbregra Posts: 1 Member
    I just upgraded from Apple Watch 1 to the 5 for the waterproof ability. I also like that it has cell service so I don’t have to carry my phone and the ECG readings are interesting.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Garmin VivoActive 3. I have had mine for at least a year and I rarely take it off.
  • duncan04
    duncan04 Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2019
    Garmin Fenix 5x. I was a Fitbit user for years...every new model as they came out. Then moved to Garmin as my activity increased-been through 4 models of these until I settled on the Fenix. I’ve a small wrist so it is large but I’ve even contemplated moving to the Plus model for the O2 sensor. I only take it off to charge or change the strap to coordinate with my day. The VA3 that people are mentioning is a nice start -just wasn’t enough for my needs. Garmin definitely for the win! 😃
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I will have to keep my eye out and start pricing and comparing Garmins! 👍 And then make some quilts to sell to fund it :D
  • mads_o86
    mads_o86 Posts: 43 Member
    I will have to keep my eye out and start pricing and comparing Garmins! 👍 And then make some quilts to sell to fund it :D

I'm using a Garmin 735xt. It's a triathlon watch so it can do swimming and biking. It's a little limited on other labels - I categorize most other cardio as "other", but the price can often be very good.

• moonangel12
    At this point I don’t need super fancy. I mainly want to be able to track water exercises in terms of heart rate, distance would be a perk but not necessary at this point - I can upgrade later if I feel the need. There are SO many Garmins out there! Trying to sort through the different ones and what they offer is definitely a challenge...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    If you want it for swimming and want heart rate data, you're going to need an HRM Swim or HRM Tri strap. Optical isn't reliable in the water, and is disabled in the watches. So, make sure the one you get is compatible with one of these straps. The strap had a memory of its own and the watch merges the data after the fact when you leave the water.
  • Usman70lbs
    Usman70lbs Posts: 24 Member
    I've had a Huawei Band Pro 3 for a few months, it's got inbuilt GPS so don't need to use my phone when going cycling/walking/running. It's also got a HR monitor and uses that during exercise too. I have found it to be much cheaper than the other fitbit brands. The only downside is that it only works with the Huawei health app and not MFP and other popular tracking apps
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    If you are thinking of a device for swim,bike and run training, then the garmin multisport products are a great option, IMO. These devices are a bit different than many of the base level activity trackers. They are more purpose built, with GPS tracking and integration to tools such as chest strap HR monitors, power meters for cycling, and software apps like MFP and Training Peaks. I'd say these devices might be a good fit if you want to do HR zone training, or train with power on the bike, measure swim or kayak distance, strokes, etcetera. If this is not your intended use case, then the multsport devices are probably not worth the extra money. Im thinking of the 920 (oldest), 735, 935 or Fenix series devices.

I have a 920XT with chest strap HRM that has been rock solid for 4 years. I don't bother with HR during the swim, so I just have the regular HR strap. You can find 920s for around $250 or even less. From there, you could look at newer models such as the 735, 935 or Fenix series. Prices go up accordingly.

There are other options out there, such as SUUNTO, Polar, etc, but the Garmin devices are wildly popular with multisport athletes for good reason. Hope that helps.
  • Check out Craigslist or marketplace for used Garmin 235/735 ect. Triathletes are always swapping for the latest new tech so you can usually find one for super cheap
  • moonangel12
    Good idea on looking for used locally! There is a Forerunner 220 with HR monitor somewhat near us for about half the price. That’s just within the first few postings on OfferUp so there should be several options to choose from!
  • Good idea on looking for used locally! There is a Forerunner 220 with HR monitor somewhat near us for about half the price. That’s just within the first few postings on OfferUp so there should be several options to choose from!

Yeah they’re all over and I have a free month of TrainerRoad if you want to try it out for free just shoot me a message their app is pretty awesome I’ve really enjoyed it for Ironman prep
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    If you're looking to save money, the Vivoactive 3's are now on sale because the 4 has come out. I really like my 3 and have had very few issues with it. The garmin web site and app are also excellent.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    My go to is my trusty Garmin 920xt. It's not as sleek and sexy as some of the newer models (it's discontinued - you can get them for half of what I paid for mine....) but the display is big enough for me to read it without glasses and the battery life is long enough to see you through an Ironman distance triathlon should you ever wish to torture yourself doing one. It has built in multi-sport settings and you can easily set up custom activities. Garmin Connect is their free app that is great for tracking your training.