MyFitnessPal for Diabetics

Options
sharynbreslau
sharynbreslau Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2019 in Getting Started
Is there a special program on Fitness Pal for Diabetics. I have been on for 3 days and just going by the #s in my food diary. Someone said I cannot do that because I am diabetic.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• sharynbreslau
    sharynbreslau Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is what I thought, thank you. I am watching my carbs, fibre and sugars. I also know that excercise plays a big part in keeping my A1C down. So I will continue with this and use your suggestions for food choices.
  • brasgold
    brasgold Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I’m diabetic went from 12.8 to 5.5 using my fitness pal. I just eat what I’m suppose to and track. Why would someone say you can’t. You eat what you can and track.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you know what you're meant to be watching for in relation to your medical condition and your doctor is happy with your diet, there is no reason you can't use MFP.

You can adjust the macro split so it's lower carb than the default if necessary and you can view different things in the nutrition columns, perhaps whomever you spoke to doesn't realise this.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    The only thing to be cautious about with MFP and being diabetic is understanding that the database entries are user entered and maintained, and there are a fair bit of errors, especially at the macronutrient level. So you'll want to double check your entries against the food label or USDA database to ensure your entries are correct.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Every diabetic is different, with different goals. My first suggestion is to ask for a referral to a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist). They can assist you with setting up macro goals. My dietitian set up goals for protein, sugar, carbs, and fiber. I adjusted MFP percentages to match these goals (since they are percentages, it is not exact).

Some diabetics do better with a low carb diet, others like myself, follow a moderate carb diet (under 150 grams). My dietitian also recommended a certain number of carbs per meal, so they are spread out throughout the day.

MFP works great for me in reaching the goals my doctor and dietitian have set for me. Lots of diabetics on here!!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    MFP is not a diet system. Because the defaults are easy to override it can be used to help manage a large number if not most ways of eating. If you did not override the defaults it could potentially create a problem for some diabetics.
  • wanda601
    wanda601 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used the guidelines on the American Diabetes website and set my macros to those and it works fine.
  • mjresch3277
    mjresch3277 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wanda601 where did you find the guidlines on their website? I've been looking all over!
    wanda601 wrote: »
    I used the guidelines on the American Diabetes website and set my macros to those and it works fine.

• Pamela_Sue
    Options
    You are right. I went to the ADA website and I cannot find any specific macro recommendations. Perhaps you need to look through every section on each particular subject (protein, sugar, etc.) and can then find guidelines that way. My registered dietitian specializes in diabetes education. She put together a 100 page handout on diabetes and I will share those recommendation with you. HOWEVER, everyone is different, so if possible, I strongly do recommend referral to a registered dietitian for your own personal needs.

General recommendations from my dietitian (yours may vary):
    Fiber: at least 25-35 grams per day.
    Cholesterol: Less than 300 mg per day.
    Limit total fats: Aim for 25-35% of your total calories as fat calories.
    Sodium goal: 1,500 to 2,000 mg daily.
    Carbs: 45 to 60 grams per meal, and 15-30 grams per snack. (NOTE: Many diabetics follow a low carb, or lower carb diet, so you will see other recommendations on MFP. I personally follow moderate carbs and stay around 150 grams of carbs per day. I see definite upticks in my blood glucose readings when I am at 60 grams of carbs per meal, so I aim for 30 to 45 grams of carbs per meal.)
    Protein: 2 to 3 servings per day, at 2-3 ounces each.

Cardio: Minimum of 150 minutes per week, divided into 5 or more days per week.
    Strength training: 3 times per week

I am a 60 year old female, 5'4", obese (but working on it) and my personal macros are as follows (again, yours will vary):
    Carbs: about 150 grams
    Fat: under 55 grams
    Protein: about 90 grams
    Cholesterol: Under 230 mg
    Sodium: Under 1,900 mg
    Sugar: Under 30 mg
    Fiber: At least 30 grams per day.

Again, REALLY recommend seeing a registered dietitian, and getting into a diabetes education class. Education is key to our good health. These are just my numbers to help you on your way. The MFP standard macros are generally not too far off. Best to you.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Options
    I reviewed my macros. They are:

1,425 calories per day (I am 5'4" 60 year old female, and am losing about 1.35 pounds per week. Have lost 36 pounds, with another 50 pounds or so to go).

Carbs: 40% (143 grams daily)
    Fat: 30% (48 grams daily)
    Protein: 30% (107 grams daily)

This is what is currently working for me that my dietitian has approved. But everyone is different.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Is there a special program on Fitness Pal for Diabetics. I have been on for 3 days and just going by the #s in my food diary. Someone said I cannot do that because I am diabetic.
    Any suggestions?

People have created endless food protocols for themselves on MFP. AIP, FODMAP, Keto, low carb, no carb, WW subset groups, everything you can think of. If you don't know what you should be eating then you need to visit with your doctor. I've been managing my glucose regulation here for 3 years but I know my boundaries. Most people are using the free option so it wouldn't be possible to accommodate everyone's preferences for free. No one here can dispense medical advice so check with your medical professionals for your plan and then make it fit.