Pea protein powder - help me make it taste good please!

cattyw
cattyw Posts: 26 Member
Hey! So I’m trying to cut out milk and bought some pea protein (choc flavour) on the advice of my PT. It’s absolutely vile, I literally gag and can’t swallow it.
Has anyone tried it and what could I mix it with to taste nice....or will it never taste nice! 🤢

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Don't force yourself to ingest it just because you have been told to. Like @cwolfman13 said, eat more protein if that is your intended outcome. If you absolutely must have protein powder, find one you like.
  • Cashew milk
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I love Bob’s Red Mill brand. They have unflavored, chocolate, and vanilla.

I mix them with Silk nut or soy milk, vanilla or
    Chocolate flavor or with Califa mocha Cold Brew so I get my coffee plus protein.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Could you return it? I hope so.
  • If you have an issue with lactose, Isopure's Zero Carb and Low Carb powders are lactose-free. I severe Gastritis that is aggravated by lactose, and those two powders have never given me an issue. Also, it's cheaper than pea and plant-based proteins, which is absolutely essential for me because POOR. LOL
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    I've been wanting to make this, but add my pea protein to it: https://pin.it/uafbjcw4jo3igt

I use Orgain pea protein. It's a little funky, as most protein I've tried is. I just bought a smaller shaker bottle and drink it fast.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I mix pea protein into smoothies. I buy unflavored unsweetened. I use a half serving in a smoothie.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Half a banana and some cocoa powder might help!
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Frozen cherries are delicious too, with the banana and cocoa
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    cattyw wrote: »
    Hey! So I’m trying to cut out milk and bought some pea protein (choc flavour) on the advice of my PT. It’s absolutely vile, I literally gag and can’t swallow it.
    Has anyone tried it and what could I mix it with to taste nice....or will it never taste nice! 🤢

It might be the brand - i use VegaAll in One pea protein. I’ve tried vanilla and Berry flavors and they taste pretty good..
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    the biggest problem with pea protein is the chalky texture. I would highly suggest against flavoured pea protein in general, sweetening it and making it chocolate flavoured is not going to make it better.

I haven't tested this, but I do think that buying it unflavored would allow you to use it in some savory applications, like soups or hummus. That's the only way I think I would be able to make it palatable, but that's just conjecture from me.

If I had to try to make yours taste okay, try blending it with ice? maybe add some coffee and a banana in the blender to make it smoother?
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    I use hemp protein powder in a smoothie. Mixed with almond milk, banana, cocoa powder.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I hope you find a solution! I bought a tub of vanilla pea protein powder once by accident. Worst. 30. Lunches. Ever.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Pea protein doesn't agree with me for some reason makes me dizzy but it could have been a bad container 🤷
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    the biggest problem with pea protein is the chalky texture. I would highly suggest against flavoured pea protein in general, sweetening it and making it chocolate flavoured is not going to make it better.

I haven't tested this, but I do think that buying it unflavored would allow you to use it in some savory applications, like soups or hummus. That's the only way I think I would be able to make it palatable, but that's just conjecture from me.

If I had to try to make yours taste okay, try blending it with ice? maybe add some coffee and a banana in the blender to make it smoother?

OP, coffee is a great idea, it's a strong flavor and since it's bitter it can kind of "assimilate" the often bitter aftertaste some powders have. As far as the texture, using it in smaller quantities might help. I bought a tub of something at one point I just couldn't stand, so I bought a brand I like in a coffee flavor, and used half a serving of the awful powder and half a serving of the coffee flavored powder to use it up.

I find mixing dairy based powders with milk (or half water/half milk to save calories) will often mute any off tastes, I wonder if using a non-dairy milk might make it more palatable?
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Easiest way to handle it is to return it. If you don't like it, more than likely it is just going to sit there. Staring at you.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    Life is too short to force down something I don’t like. I’d rather spend the calories to have a larger serving of chicken breast or whatever the meat du jour is to reach my protein goals.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Gift it to a vegan and drink (lactose free) milk instead.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    cattyw wrote: »

If you don't have a medical or ethical reason to avoid whey, don't force yourself to use pea protein.

If you do have a compelling reason to avoid whey, with what have you been mixing the pea protein? I agree, it's pretty yuck just plain. The previous posters might be on to something when they suggest mixing it with coffee. I can't taste the stevia in my chocolate whey when I mix it with coffee.

(Note: you may have to let the coffee cool some before mixing. Whey clumps when mixed with hot liquid.)