Eating back workout calories

Options
Im sure this has been asked but, I'm at a loss here. Do you eat back your workout calories and if so how much? My base is 1200 calories. I am training for a half Marathon. I burn anywhere from 800-1400 calories depending on what I'm doing. I'm using a polar ft60. Its pretty accurate as far as hrm and calorie counters go. I have no desire to eat those calories back. The most I usually eat is 1500 calories. I've stopped losing weight and I'm so frustrated! Thoughts?

Replies

• Tuffjourney
    Options
    I have too, or I wouldn't be able to have a dinner. :grumble:
  • suzenordquist
    Options
    Of course you can eat them back! You've burned them so you they are all yours! You might have stopped losing weight because your metabolism is slowing weigh down with all the exercise and low calorie diet. I would definitely at least eat 1/2 to 2/3rds of your burned calories. Keep up the running though, sounds like you're doing great!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I eat them all back. I did when I was losing the weight, and I do now that I am maintaining. If I do not, I lose more weight. I have been maintaining for a year.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    You do not want to create a deficit, if you do this consistantly, your body goes into starvation mode and thus you will most likely not lose the weight. Under 1200 calories, you are more than likely creating a deficit.

MFP took into account everything you plugged in when determining your goals. You definitely want to try to eat back at least half, if not all of your calories, if possible.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    at the level of exercise you are doing for sure you need to eat back at least some (50%?) of those calories.

i hit a plateau that was only broken by giving in and eating my exercise calories. Once i did so the weight started dropping off again.
    Try to think of the calories as fuel, not food *S*
    Without the proper type and amount of fuel, the body just starts shutting down some 'services' and starts to try to hang onto the calories it gets for fear of not having enough for essential services. *L* well.. you get the idea i'm sure.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating them back and you aren't losing weight.

Time to change what you're doing, huh?

The goal of this website is to get your daily calories as close to zero as possible. Having 200, 300 or more calories leftover at the end of the day isn't how it is designed to work. If you are having trouble consuming the calories - add in higher calorie foods like nuts and nut butters. These will give you some extra calories. Also, you can add in a protein shake with milk after you've worked out. Will give you a boost of protein AND some extra calories.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yep, eat them. Especially since you are training for the half marathon. Make sure you aren't just eating back junk though - get lots of carbs/protein/fruits/veggies/healthy fats. Training for long distance races like that, you should definitely be feeding your body more fuel!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Aside from hampering your weight loss, you are also severely hampering your training plan if you're not fueling your body to run for that many miles.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat them back. Your net calories (calories consumed - calories burned = net calories) should never be below 1200, but even that is too low for most people. My toddlers need 1000 net calories per day and they're 1/2 my height and about 1/4 my ideal weight. Adults, especially extremely active adults like yourself, need a lot more than that.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It is really advisable to eat back at least your workout calories and a good chunk of your daily nominal food intake especially if you're training for a half marathon.
    Don't skimp on fats and proteins up to a few days before the event as that's what'll give you the energy to see it through.
    The day or several hours before you can switch more to carbs to give you energy but don't eat too much in the few hours leading to the event as that'll work against you.
    If you feel a bit weak just before eat a Banana or some nuts to get you started.
    I'm not sure if my advice is 100% accurate but from what I've read it should be fairly close.