Dating after weight loss

Options
kmalik5
kmalik5 Posts: 44 Member
Hey guys! So I've been thinking a lot about this lately and wanted to see if anyone else has struggled with this at all.

I'm about 2/3 to my weight goal and I've dropped a noticeable amount (over 40 lbs). I say noticeable because, well, I'm starting to get noticed.

I was always heavy until recently, and as a result, I never really got hit on and I got turned down a lot by guys. It was tough, but I grew a lot, became a person I'm proud of regardless of my relationship status, and developed a more guarded mindset so I didn't get hurt.

Now, not only do strangers hit on me a lot more, but the guys in my life are just suddenly a lot nicer to me and I think a couple of them flirt with me now? I'm not sure, but my friend is telling me they are, haha. How do I navigate this? On one hand I want to be able to open up and accept attention, but on the other hand, I struggle from being guarded and the fact that since little else has changed, it's really the weight that's played a factor in this.

Hopefully this makes sense...I think just navigating the dating scene has become more difficult for me and I wanted to see if anyone else felt this way too!

Replies

• speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @kmalik5, congratulations on your success! And I understand. It is at the same time both pleasing, gratifying, maddening and bewildering. You are the same person. How can how you experience the world suddenly change so much by how you look? I'm a little over half way to getting back to the size I was 5 years ago, the first time I dropped 100 pounds. (Long story, but not that uncommon.) At the time, I happened upon this podcast that spoke exactly to the feelings you are describing. It's the second story, by Elna Baker - but the whole podcast felt like it was made for me:
    https://www.thisamericanlife.org/589/tell-me-im-fat

Best of luck to you navigating this terrain.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I agree with Tink. Whenever I’ve felt confident and sexy in my skin I get attention. Whenever I don’t feel that way the attention goes away as well. It hasn’t much mattered what I weighed up and down the scale. You say nothing else has changed but my bet is that the confidence and comfort with yourself you are projecting is the key :)
  • lozenger1984
    lozenger1984 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've found it hard adjusting to my new body. I'm almost 130lbs down with loose skin on my belly and it's definately affected my confidence. Anyone had to deal with this? It looks weirder than being overweight - never going to be a bikini girl!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    And what if I were to gain weight again?

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    And what if I were to gain weight again? That's my point.

You are NOT going to do that !!! So problem solved.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Shortly after I married my husband, I gained 60 pounds in a few months due to medical issues.

It's not always due to eating more calories than we burn.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Shortly after I married my husband, I gained 60 pounds in a few months due to medical issues.

It's not always due to eating more calories than we burn.

Sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope that they are resolved now, and that you are enjoying a healthy and happy journey.

Lynda, your husband loved you already and was committed to the marriage; he knew that you were the woman for him, so the weight gain didn't matter much. The two of you had a loving relationship, and your husband was already "focused in your inside", and most likely very interested and attracted to the person that you were, and still are. And, in my opinion, that is the difference.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that suggested it was confidence level over body shape. It may also be lifestyle changes lining up your interests better.

My husband and I are both fairly active people. We both pay a lot of attention to eating healthy. Our goals line up and our efforts line up - regardless of whether I'm a 135lb dancer or a 208lb miserable pregnant woman, we both like to move and we both eat healthy diets with lots of veggies and whole grains. He's pescatarian and I hate fish. He likes MMA stuff and I prefer to dance. But our baseline values and goals (health and fitness) line up.

So there's that to consider, too. Do you have more in common with the people who are flirting now than you did before?

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!!! Amazing!!

We unfortunately live in a shallow superficial society.

Been on a few weight loss journeys due to gaining with injuries, and I can always tell when I'm getting close to goal, because men do treat differently.

Examples: being cut off in grocery store lines to having men smile, slight bow, and say after you, while they continue to try and make small talk while in line. Walking through a door and letting it close in my face to having multiple guys rush to hold door open with smiles. Even in rain and cold having guys drive through parking lot walkway while I stand in rain waiting for them to drive by to braking and letting me walk in front of their car while they smile and wave me on.

Enjoy the extra attention, Hold head high and flirt back, and Play by ear.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!