My body is not a garbage disposal

Options

Replies

• blisslyfe
    blisslyfe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You're right my body itsn garbage disposal! I'm going to try this. Thanks.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    b.) my parents browbeat the starving children in China thing into my head

I was always like "How is eating everything on my plate helping "them" out!!" That drove me crazy when my parents said that

Eating everything on your plate can help them out by causing you to be obese... leading to an earlier death... leading to more food available for kids in China (or wherever).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I don't have a mantra, but I came to the realization that the garbage disposal one describes early on when losing weight and found it tremendously helpful.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Training myself that it’s ok to leave food on the plate is a major goal of mine. In addition to that, I don’t drink my calories as much as possible because liquid isn’t filling. I have only so many calories to use to feel full, I feel like I’m wasting them on drinks. It’s sad because I have several bottles of delicious red wine in my cupboard. But once I reach goal weight, I’ll have something good to celebrate with.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I order what I want in restaurants and if it's calorie dense, I box up half of it before I start eating so that it looks great in the takeout box and I'm *excited* to take it to work as my lunch the next day. I've found that if I plate about 800 calories and stop eating once the food is gone, I am pleasantly full but not uncomfortable. Which is generally what I'm trying to accomplish - PLUS, I get awesome restaurant food A SECOND TIME without the second expense or having to put on pants to go fetch it. :)

And yes... I AM that hippie weirdo with a re-usable container in her bag for restaurant left overs. If I don't put the food in my bag, I'll forget it, and I'm not putting a crushable styrofoam container of pasta in my backpack next to my laptop. >_<

Oh, man: I need to do that! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,190 Member
    Options
    I am not a garbage can, either. The only time I even consider it is on river trips when there's just a little leftovers. Putting leftovers in the cooler uses up ice, and the food typically doesn't get eaten. If it goes in the garbage, it's wasted for sure, it takes up garbage space, and it wastes food. Otherwise, if there's "extra" food, it can get saved for another time.

Throwing food away, though.... that's just wrong. We waste so much food. Even before it gets to retail, there's a lot of waste. And then when we buy it and don't use it, it's another waste. At least where I live we can put food waste of all kinds into a green waste cart that gets composted, but it's still such a waste of food. I love food. Throwing it away is not in my capacity unless I'm careless enough to let it go bad. If you order a slice of cake for dessert, either eat it or take the rest home. Landfills aren't for food. Growing food takes good soil, and that's a precious resource. Don't waste it or the water typically used for irrigation.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I gotta disagree with viewing perfectly good food as 'garbage'. Such a flippant attitude when so many people don't have or can't afford enough to eat.

Obviously I'm not talking about leaving a few bits of meat or half a potato on the plate when you're full or not eating something because it doesn't taste nice, but if you're leaving food on your plate, you ARE wasting all that food by virtue of the fact that you have made/taken/ordered more than you intend to eat.

Western/affluent thinking my man.... I agree. I try to not let much go to waste....but to each their own.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I find (for me, personally) that I am "The Garbage Man," and saying otherwise is (again, for me personally) shaming me for wanting sweets and maybe overindulging sometimes. Should I do it? No, and I know some people would disagree with me entirely, and tell me I shouldn't ever do that. There are should's and could's and maybe would's.

Plus, on the flip side... The Garbage Man has a job to do, and must be quite fit to lift the cans, for someone who takes all of our garbage.

For that, I do save leftovers if I can. I hate wasting food but that's a mix of being a full-time student who's otherwise unemployed, growing up that way, and in general hate the waste cycle. (Yes, The Garbage Man's entire occupation is built on a system of waste.) But it also means I don't order take out, or go out to restaurants. I try to make my meals somewhat healthy so leftovers aren't some horrible mistake that I would then be ashamed of.

It's all personal choice, so if you don't agree with me in the slightest, I have no judgments. It's all what works for each of us.