Greetings!

Options
BradDB33
BradDB33 Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone ! I downloaded this app today so I can commit to the change I need. I am 33 year old father. 1 kid another on the way. I am constantly busy with work, family/ friend commitments. I started a desk job close to a year ago ( after being really active) I have put on 47 pounds since then. I definitely don’t feel comfortable with the body I currently have. I need and have to change.

It’s really difficult trying to juggle-balance time. So I know that will be a big struggle. I do find it inspiring to see others journies I am glad this app has that. Overall I was wondering how this app is working for everyone. Do you feel it helps make significantly? Looks to be very detailed and a great tools to have. Also what are some things you guys do to stay motivated and on track?

Replies

• elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Although I figured out the "system" pretty quick, and could work it without this site, it really does help. The food database alone is a huge time saver. Also reading everyone's story is both educational and inspirational. 10 years ago I was in your boat only a bit younger. It took me about 5 months of focused effort to lose the weight and I've managed to yo-yo off my desired weight by about 20 lbs for the past 10 years. If you really let what you read on this site sink in you'll find that you will be able to lose it AND keep it off.

As far as losing weight, it takes almost no time at all. What you eat is a MUCH larger factor than exercise when it comes to weight loss. Like, 10 to 1 factor. Exercise can give you a little extra buffer and is important for other reasons (cardiovascular health, energy levels, muscle retention past 30 (oops!)).

I would suggest, just my opinion, you start with diet alone. You're still young enough, and because you WERE pretty active, you should be able to drop crazy quick. About half way through that process I would look into a novice lifting program, just 3x/week, and COMMIT. Make one of the days a weekend day so you only have to figure out how to fit 2 in during the week. Past 30 T levels, and therefore muscle mass, begin to decline. Catch it now but doing a light to moderate lifting program with proper nutrition and you'll sail into middle age at the top of your game.

If my lazy, beer guzzling, pizza devouring self can do it, you can too!
  • BradDB33
    BradDB33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’d really like to drop about 40 pounds and see some muscle mass. I am completely devoted. Trickiest part I’m dealing with at the moment is cutting soda. That and well not much knowledge on weight listing but I have recently started cardio. I can’t wait to see a difference. I wish I would have started all this before 30 though seeing as how it all lowers.

I think your advice is great! I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing with me. I’ll def put it to action. Glad it all worked for you. I def plan on sailing into my 40’s in better shape 😂.

Thank you!
  • erikaramirez4872
    erikaramirez4872 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take much for men to lose. You will definitely see results after cutting out all that Pop. 😁
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I lost 20 lbs with MFP, and have maintaining for @ 2 years. This is a great "How to get the most out of MFP" post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

:drinker:
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    BradDB33 wrote: »
    Hello everyone ! I downloaded this app today so I can commit to the change I need. I am 33 year old father. 1 kid another on the way. I am constantly busy with work, family/ friend commitments. I started a desk job close to a year ago ( after being really active) I have put on 47 pounds since then. I definitely don’t feel comfortable with the body I currently have. I need and have to change.

It’s really difficult trying to juggle-balance time. So I know that will be a big struggle. I do find it inspiring to see others journies I am glad this app has that. Overall I was wondering how this app is working for everyone. Do you feel it helps make significantly? Looks to be very detailed and a great tools to have. Also what are some things you guys do to stay motivated and on track?

I find doing meal prep is really important. Having things ready to go really takes away the stress and worry, especially when you have a busy schedule