6 pounds in a week?!?!

Options
I know everyone says that you shouldn't gain a lot of weight or lose a lot of weight, but I feel like I can gain weight like a superhuman! I had a really bad week. I got behind in school work and had an A&P exam (in 1/2 hour...YIKES). Ever since starting school 3 years ago I'ved gained weight because I munch when I study. I crave SUGAR like crazy when I'm sudying. Ive tried healthy alternatives, but it just doesn't seem to get the brain juices flowing! Anyway I weight 213 a week ago...I havent been below 215 since starting school...I was so excited. And now I'm back up to 219!! It is so frustrating!!! I feel like weight loss and health is just going to ellude me until I'm done with school. Most ppl who work an office job sit for 8 hours and then they're done. Not me...i'm in class all day and then Im at my desk studying until I pass out. :grumble: :grumble:

Anyway I just had to vent. Now that this exam is over I'm done until April, so maybe I can get a good routine down by then, so when the tests come it won't be so intrusive for me to exercise. I just spent nearly 200 bucks on a heart rate monitor and TurboJam! So I am serious about it....it's just finding time. And even though I sit all day, it's exhausting studying all day...so finding energy is hard for me too!

Thanks for listening.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I know everyone says that you shouldn't gain a lot of weight or lose a lot of weight, but I feel like I can gain weight like a superhuman! I had a really bad week. I got behind in school work and had an A&P exam (in 1/2 hour...YIKES). Ever since starting school 3 years ago I'ved gained weight because I munch when I study. I crave SUGAR like crazy when I'm sudying. Ive tried healthy alternatives, but it just doesn't seem to get the brain juices flowing! Anyway I weight 213 a week ago...I havent been below 215 since starting school...I was so excited. And now I'm back up to 219!! It is so frustrating!!! I feel like weight loss and health is just going to ellude me until I'm done with school. Most ppl who work an office job sit for 8 hours and then they're done. Not me...i'm in class all day and then Im at my desk studying until I pass out. :grumble: :grumble:

Anyway I just had to vent. Now that this exam is over I'm done until April, so maybe I can get a good routine down by then, so when the tests come it won't be so intrusive for me to exercise. I just spent nearly 200 bucks on a heart rate monitor and TurboJam! So I am serious about it....it's just finding time. And even though I sit all day, it's exhausting studying all day...so finding energy is hard for me too!

Thanks for listening.

:flowerforyou:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. My gym membership expired and I haven't been on a regular workout routine.

Gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks. :grumble:

Stick with it, you'll see results. :drinker:
  • LeeAnn11
    Options
    Ahhh yes the "time" thing is sometimes very hard. It's funny to think that you really only need 1 hour to go to the gym but for some reason (or in my case) I just can't find it sometimes (2 kids but no excuses). Could you take a break from studying (say the mid-way point) and just go workout...I bet you would feel way more energized after a good workout...
  • jennib06
    jennib06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, my body can fluctuate within 5 lbs in a whole day! It's crazy, but I'm pretty sure that is just water weight, etc. I hope that your exam goes well! I'm sorry that this week has been so rough, but you can start back over now! It will start looking back up a long as you make those changes!

Goodluck again on your exam!!!
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Do you have room to work out at home? I know you study a lot (I do too) but if you work out you'll probably find that you sleep deeper and focus better after awhile. Plus, studying when you're exhausted just doesn't have the same effect as studying when your mind is fresh.

Good luck to you!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and take a good poop and you will probably be back down 6 pounds next week.:drinker:
  • incorporeally
    incorporeally Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know it seems like you don't have the time, but try to find a good gym close by. When I am on my campus, I usually go in the early morning. It means getting up a little earlier, but there is no better way to get energized for your day. You can even take some study reading for the treadmill or the stationary bike. I've seen people doing that.

I definately know what you mean about the munchies too. When I study, I got through insane amounts of caffeine and sugar. I don't know about your living arrangements, but the easiest thing to do is just to quit buying the junk food, then you won't be tempted to munch on it. Try fresh fruit, which still has a lot of sugar in it, or unbuttered popcorn. Another great trick is to munch on ice. Not only is it addicting after a while, but the cold will actually help you burn more calories!
  • kirstina_23
    kirstina_23 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thats what i was going to say cause sugar and not eating right you will retain water.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You really have to make time. I'm doing the work + school thing, so my day consists of 3-6 hours of class (ugh, lab), 4-7 hours of work, 1-4 hours of studying, and 30-90 minutes of exercise, or up to two hours of I get a day of just work or just class. I work out between classes and go to class sweaty. Gross, but who cares? I'd rather be sweaty and look good. If there's a class that I don't need to listen to because I know the information, I study for another class. I study at home, I study at work. I make time to study just like I make time to work out. I have never been one for eating while studying though--I think the stress inhibits my appetite. :wink: Try snacking on less calorie-dense foods, like veggie or apple sticks. And mgullette is right, studying when you're exhausted is just as effective as not studying at all. You don't retain anything. Studying after exercise actually improves your retention.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Double post! :tongue: