Belly Fat and Maintenance

Options
Should I stay or should I keep going? Initially my goal weight was 185, from around 230... now I'm at 162. I'm happy with my body except for my belly. I've had 2 children and they did a number on my tummy which has never visibly shown a six pack: although I can feel it under the flap of skin and soft stubborn fat that is sitting on top it.

What do I do now? Is it just skin? Will it E V E R go away?

I go to the gym regularly, strength training, core and cardio, walk my dogs...

BMI tells me I'm healthy but I'm still fat Leah in my head. How do I know when to stop?

Replies

• lilsnowbird
    Options
    bump
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Try adding strength training to your exercise routine and do an ab workout 4-5 days a week. Planks are really helpful. You may never have that TV six pack and it may take awhile, but if you work those muscles, you will see results.

My problem area is under my arms. I can't stand that I can wave with my hand and my tricep skin. :grumble: But if I look, every few weeks or so, it is getting better. Good luck!:drinker:
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Knowing when to stop is hard. I too would like to hear what others have to say. I have a way to go to get to the position that you are in but I know that I will have remaining extra belly bits... Huge congratulations for getting to where you are now and good luck with maintaining (if that is what you choose!!!) :flowerforyou:
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Stop when you are comfortable, I have lowered my goal twice
    (still haven't hit the second one) work on toning exercises
    to see if that helps
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Great question, I will check back in to see what everyone posts, I am not there yet, but I will be one day and I too would like to know the answer, especially on the belly fat part.
    Congratulations on your loss though.:bigsmile:
  • arykh24
    arykh24 Posts: 64
    Options
    Sometimes you can get your health insurance to cover a tummy tuck. What you need to do is look up your insurance medical policy on the internet. Search for paniculectomy. If covered, there is certain criteria that must be met such as rashes (you can make a solution to give yourself a rash), having your belly "hang" so far down, and being at a stable weight for a period of time. Definitely something to check into! Who wouldn't want a free tummy tuck!!?!!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Why not see about having your body fat percentage tested? That's what I plan to do as I get closer to goal. I'll switch to getting to a happy body fat %.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    my arms are also a problem area, im working on that too. and ive actually considered surgery but wanted to do it the right way (if there is a right and wrong way?) lol...

so tone it is... ive been eating 1200 cals for so long that i think i might up to maybe 1600..... that way i'm still technically losing fat?

I like to act like I know how it all works, and I know its a process...

thanks for all the congratulations, losing the weight is definitely more satisfying than food will EVER be.
  • mkgabbard
    Options
    Have you tried going to a spa and having a body wrap done? The body wraps will tighten your skin and at the same time push a few pounds of water weight off your body. Some people recommend doing this for every 10-20 pounds you lose. It's something you can try before considering surgery.
    http://www.ivillage.co.uk/body-wraps-do-they-work/76107
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm, no but a spa day would be SO NICE! im going to check into that, thanks!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Why not see about having your body fat percentage tested? That's what I plan to do as I get closer to goal. I'll switch to getting to a happy body fat %.

What a great suggestion! body fat percentage is so much more individual than BMI. I think I will do this when I hit my initial goal. Thanks!:flowerforyou: