vintage

Options
Hi..I'm a 60+ year old women. I'm looking for gluten free recipes & meal ideas, especially breakfast. (I'm very sick of scrambled eggs!) My biggest struggle is snacking at night. I need some help! Thanks

Replies

• cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    LOL. "Vintage". I like that!! I'm going to steal it!! Sounds like a '57 Chevy or a 45 record. Much better than "senior citizen". I don't have any recipes, but welcome nonetheless. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,928 Member
    Options
    Do you have other dietary limitations or preference-based exclusions? (Specifically, are you avoiding meat, dairy, grain? I like a hearty grain plus Greek yogurt and berries for breakfast; not everyone finds that filling for hours, but I do, and with a gluten-free grain that would be an option unless there are other restrictions. Ditto for meat choices, which I don't eat because I'm vegetarian). Also, it might be an option to eat foods that aren't ususally breakfast foods at breakfast time, if you're open to experiments.

I lost weight here at age 59-60 (about 50 pounds, in a bit less than a year), and have maintained a healthy weight for nearly 4 years since, after decades of obesity. Different people find different food choices filling. For me, getting a solid breakfast with plenty of protein, and solid protein through the day, not only helped me stay full, but mysteriously helped reduce my evening snack cravings. So did getting plenty of low-cal veggies (for volume) at dinner, I believe.

To the extent that the remaining snack cravings were more about habit than actual hunger, picking up some old, absorbing hobbies helped as a distraction (particularly good are things that require clean hands like needlework, sketching, or playing a musical instrument; or things that create dirty hands like painting, gardening, or carpentry).

As a completely opposite thought, some people find it helpful to budget some calories for an after-dinner snack, perhaps combined with making the snacks be lower-calorie or nutrient-dense choices like home-made popcorn (controlling any added oils by making it), or cut-up cruncy veggies. There's a myth that eating close to bedtime makes those late calories more likely to "stick" and cause fat gain/retention, but that's pretty much been debunked. (There's either no effect, or a very trivial one.)

I'm sorry I can't give you any ideas on the gluten-free front: I'm lucky not to be either gluten sensistive or celiac.

Best wishes!
  • 52readsB
    52readsB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the greeting & thanks for the inspiration! You had lots of good tips (many I have done in the past, but, never stick to them). The gluten free thing isn't bad, I can convert most things by reading labels & switching flour. My granddaughter is also dairy free, egg free & a lot of other free's, so if others have ideas send them my way.
    Unfortunately I gave up crafts a long time ago, but, have been trying to figure out what I could like again.
    What I mostly need is inspiration. I'll try the yogurt trick. Thanks so much!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    52readsB wrote: »
    Thanks for the greeting & thanks for the inspiration! You had lots of good tips (many I have done in the past, but, never stick to them). The gluten free thing isn't bad, I can convert most things by reading labels & switching flour. My granddaughter is also dairy free, egg free & a lot of other free's, so if others have ideas send them my way.
    Unfortunately I gave up crafts a long time ago, but, have been trying to figure out what I could like again.
    What I mostly need is inspiration. I'll try the yogurt trick. Thanks so much!

I do a bit of jewellery making mainlynearings and bracelets for my daughter, knitting, crochet and trying a bit of watercolour paintings the other thing I like is gardening and taking photographs. I'm hoping when I have finally lost a bit more weight to start cooking cakes again. I also play word games such as scrabble to keep my mind active.
  • krhea31
    krhea31 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I usually have a protein shake in the morning (chocolate protein powder, banana, almond milk, spirulina powder, ice). I also have oatmeal made with certified gluten-free rolled oats. I usually add cinnamon and raisins.

Let me know if you’d like more suggestions!