Does praying burn calories?

Options
The Vatican continues to take great pains to bring Catholic faith into the modern era, and this week it’s transforming the faithful rosary — adapting today’s popular fitness tracker idea into a $110 bracelet that tracks your prayers.

No, we’re not joking: this is a real gadget launched at a Vatican press conference whose specs include:

Six-axis inertial sensing
Bluetooth 5.0
IP67 water and dust resistance
Wireless charging
a 15mAh lithium-ion battery
10 black agate beads and 11 hematite beads
It’s basically an adapted fitness tracker, and it still doubles as a fitness tracker, too:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/10/17/20920101/click-to-pray-e-rosary-catholic-church-vatican-prayer-beads

Replies

• keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No cals burns unless you are walking while praying.

I prefer my analog rosary.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you do 70lb kettlebell swings each rosary bead, you might have something.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How does it know yours praying not sleeping?
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Is this a serious post?
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Standing on your head, looking forward to Nirvana possibly?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Why does this remind me of the Tom Lehrer song, The Vatican Rag? Granted, that song was making fun of Vatican 2 and it’s older than I am....
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,188 Member
    Options

<snark> Only if you pray to the "One True God." </snark>

I founded the Church of Flowing Water in 2001 (I really need to get the website back up). We worship under the Temple of the Blue Dome. The tenet is that you never need to go into a building hewn of human hands in order to be in touch with all that is Universal. You just need to spend time on a river or the ocean, ideally under human power. I can attest that this DOES burn calories, but we don't really call it prayer. We seek enlightenment through water, gravity, and rock. Membership is open to all. Where you find water, there is life; where you find life, seek happiness.

Remember: This rock is mostly covered with water:
    a3vqg91f3i2g.jpg

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious post?

This post is a link to a funny but true news story about cashing in on the activity tracker market. I don't know if that makes it serious or not, but I hope it made someone smile and laugh.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I founded the Church of Flowing Water in 2001 (I really need to get the website back up). We worship under the Temple of the Blue Dome. The tenet is that you never need to go into a building hewn of human hands in order to be in touch with all that is Universal. You just need to spend time on a river or the ocean, ideally under human power. I can attest that this DOES burn calories, but we don't really call it prayer. We seek enlightenment through water, gravity, and rock. Membership is open to all. Where you find water, there is life; where you find life, seek happiness.

a3vqg91f3i2g.jpg

I've always gone to the Church of the Mountain Gods, from where the flowing water comes. Is that close enough?
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

a3vqg91f3i2g.jpg

I've always gone to the Church of the Mountain Gods, from where the flowing water comes. Is that close enough?

Oh indeed. Some water is held in a solid state for a while. Even it its solid state, it does flow downstream. You are still worshiping in the Temple of the Blue Dome. And.... burning calories while doing it!

One of my first yoga instructors talked about their family going out every Sunday to the mountains or desert. They called it the Church of the Seventh Day Recreationalist. It was perhaps the biggest impetus for me to form my church. I've been honored to perform wedding ceremonies for a dozen or so friends (well, two dozen since it takes two to form a marriage). One of these folks became a minister in my church and gave himself the title Whitewater Evangelist.

One of my poems was published in American Whitewater Journal a couple years ago; perhaps the closest I can come to prayer:

On Returning

Home.
    But not home.

In my space.
    Yet displaced.

My true love is not at home; she is in the canyon.
    My life’s travels take me far from her.
    Our passionate visits are joyful but brief.

The sun sets over town; a glowing, beautiful, orange orb – a vision unseen from the canyon. The breezes in town still blow cool.

Yet something is missing – something big.

The whispers and roars of the wind and water are replaces by the whoosh of cars breaking the still air.

The cascade of warm water is welcome as it washes away the grit and grime and brings me back to the world of the clean. The sharp blade can bring me to the world of the neat and tidy. My love cares not about the grit in my hair or the hair on my face.

My garden is ripe with a bountiful harvest, yet I already hunger for sustenance that only water, rock, and gravity can produce.

Yes, my sister the river is my love, my sustenance, and my home. The time we spend apart is long. As the time passes, the longing grows. May the time be short until once again I am in the arms of the river as she cradles me and carries me with gravity towards the center.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    More news from The Register in United Kingdom: Deus ex hackina: It took just 10 minutes to find data-divulging demons corrupting Pope’s Click to Pray eRosary app.

“The technology behind the Catholic Church’s latest innovation, an electronic rosary, is so insecure, it can be trivially hacked to siphon off worshipers’ personal information.” The article also notes that the issues are “more embarrassing than life-threatening.”