Age is just a number, reset yourself at any age!

Options
In 2015, I was out of shape, in an inflammatory state and didn't know it. I had arthritis in my back and knees and felt sore all the time. My Dr. said I was one number away from being pre-diabetic, blood pressure was through the roof, and lipid numbers were lousy.

Instead of feeling sorry for myself or taking more meds or supplements to "fix the problem" like Americans always do, I changed up my diet, geared more towards plant-based but not vegan or anything crazy...I don't deprive myself. I also exercise most days of the week....again, nothing crazy. Sometimes, it could be cutting grass or walking the dog.

I now feel great (lost 32 lbs), arthritis is gone, BP is normal, lipid panel is great, and a recent hs-c reactive protein test showed 0.3 (no inflammation in the body).

Anyone can do it! I was told by co-workers that with age, it's expected to feel that way all the time...but I proved that is false by not eating inflammatory foods such as milk, beef, pork, or processed foods and drinks. But, eat more whole fruits and veggies (not juicing out the vitamins or minerals!) and add some fish, lean poultry a couple days a week.

Replies

• LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    55now25 wrote: »
    In 2015, I was out of shape, in an inflammatory state and didn't know it. I had arthritis in my back and knees and felt sore all the time. My Dr. said I was one number away from being pre-diabetic, blood pressure was through the roof, and lipid numbers were lousy.

Instead of feeling sorry for myself or taking more meds or supplements to "fix the problem" like Americans always do, I changed up my diet, geared more towards plant-based but not vegan or anything crazy...I don't deprive myself. I also exercise most days of the week....again, nothing crazy. Sometimes, it could be cutting grass or walking the dog.

I now feel great (lost 32 lbs), arthritis is gone, BP is normal, lipid panel is great, and a recent hs-c reactive protein test showed 0.3 (no inflammation in the body).

Anyone can do it! I was told by co-workers that with age, it's expected to feel that way all the time...but I proved that is false by not eating inflammatory foods such as milk, beef, pork, or processed foods and drinks. But, eat more whole fruits and veggies (not juicing out the vitamins or minerals!) and add some fish, lean poultry a couple days a week.

Nicely said, and I totally agree. I am on a similar path and have had similar success (52). Congrats and thanks for the encouraging words!

• 55now25
    55now25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Man, best of luck to you!
  • BillM1976
    BillM1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring indeed! Congratulations on taking charge of your wellbeing!
  • erikaramirez4872
    erikaramirez4872 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yup so true! I had started a plant based diet for a while, now I'm just putting in on hold until my kids are old enough to make their own food. Haha it's too much to have to make food for the kids then me, ect. But I can't wait to get back to the "real" stuff!
  • 55now25
    Options
    That's very true...lol best of luck to you!
  • KDBisme
    KDBisme Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    LOVE this!!! I have so much more respect for adults overcoming age/injury barriers than a 20 year old who’s been naturally skinny their whole life. I’ve done personal training and I’d rather train a 50 year old than a 20 year old, just saying. The 20-something’s I worked with always took the modifications, short-cuts, and had far more excuses than ppl twice their age and heavier. Sad.
  • 55now25
    Options
    Good point, thanks.