Its so hard to weigh certain things

Djhfjy
Djhfjy Posts: 10 Member
How do I weigh a prepared salad? its impossible
How do I weight complex meals that I don't know every ingredient for?
How do I convert "cups" to "grams", i don't have a device that weights cups!
Do I weigh the protein before I put it in the milk or after?
Do I weigh the noodles before I boil or after?

I'm confused!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    You can use the recipe builder for multi-ingredient things you made yourself.

If you didn’t make it yourself, you’ll have to use your best estimate.

There are standard conversions from cups to grams for common ingredients like flour, sugar, etc. Just Google what you’re trying to convert. The other option is to put the bowl on the scale, tare, measure out a cup of whatever, dump it in the bowl.

If you are putting protein powder in a glass of milk, I’d do the same—tare scale with glass of milk, add protein powder.

Weigh noodles dry and then use a database entry for dry noodles.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    If you're like me and persistently order the same thing from restaurants, you can take a picture of the salad and make a similar looking one at home, weighing each ingredient as you add it. That will give you a reasonable estimate if the restaurant you go to doesn't have calorie information available on their web site.

Honestly, most salad veggies are so low in calories, I don't worry about precision until I get to the proteins and dressings.

I made a 800+ calorie salad the other day. The spinach was 25 calories for 80g, the tomatoes were 30 calories(10 grape tomatoes), the cucumbers were 25 calories (I used a whole baby cuke - 80g)... And I had to build the thing in a SERVING BOWL. The main calorie dense items I put on that thing were 40g of cheese (140cal), 55g of ham (70 cal), 80g of chicken nuggets (250 cal), and 3tbsp of dressing (210cal).

Eyeball the protein/fat adds and salad dressing and estimate those most closely. The greens and other veggies seem to have very similar calorie values per weight (being mostly water and fiber) so you can probably just get a total weight on them and not be too far off.