swimming with a HRM

Options
So I just got a Polar FT4 and I am loving it for running etc, but I am curious to know if anyone has tried swimming with it? The instructions say that it is water resistant up to 30 m and can be used while swimming, but I am still terrified I am going to ruin it anyway if i use it for laps! thanks :)

Replies

• sphares
    sphares Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. I'm looking to get a HRM soon and would love to know how much I'm really burning in the water.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    It is water resistant, but chlorine causes the connection to have problems. I haven't swam with it (because I had already seen that problem) but I ran in a white tank that was washed in bleach and had connection problems. If you're swimming in a chlorinated pool, it won't really pick up your heart rate very well, so there really isn't a point in trying to use it. If you're lake swimming, it should work fine, though. :)

Also, don't push any buttons while the watch is submerged. It will break the seal in the watch and cause it to get water inside of it.