Pregnant and Headaches

Options
I have been getting amazing headaches in my first trimester that make everything practically impossible. Any great ideas to help get rid of them? My dr told me caffine would be ok in the 200 mg/day range. That helps slightly but any other ideas?:smile:

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I used to do Tylenol with the caffeine and that helped immensely. Also make sure you are hydrated. I used to get wicked migraines when I was pregnant, you don't forget those headaches. Sorry you're going thru that!
  • csloan30
    csloan30 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    YOu might try a hot shower or breathing some steam..it could be sinuses...Make sure you haev enough support under your neck at night cause that can lead to headaches if you are sleeping on your neck wrong. Hope this helps!!!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking enough water. It could be partially caused by dehydration.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Headaches during pregnancy are incredibly common due to the extra hormones.

I was one of the few lucky ones mine actually went away while I was pregnant (unfortunantly they came back)

Neurological studies encourage caffeine for headache treatment because it is a vasodialator, so if you take your tylenol with a coca cola or other caffeinated beverage it sends the medication to your brain faster equaling faster relief. This is why most excedrin products also contain caffeine.

If you have stopped caffeine for your pregnancy then it is highly likely you are going through caffeine withdrawal, in which case I would try to stick it out for 2 weeks after your last dose of caffeine so your body is flushed out.

Yes making sure you are fully hydrated definently helps
  • ldykema
    ldykema Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm pregnant (16 weeks along) and get headaches as well. I talked to my doctor about it and he prescribed Fioricet. I often get headaches when not pregnant and Excedrine is my best bet, but since it's advised not to take it while pregnant, I've been avoiding it.

My doctor also said that his wife took Fioricet regularly ("like candy" as he put it) when she was pregnant and Excedrine was her drug of choice when not pregnant.

Hope that helps!