Food advise

Options
Hello all, I am big guy, 194cm and 134kg, I used to be 148kg until I started my diet. Mainly I depend on chicken breast, eggs and vegetables but I feel limited and I feel this should not be the right way. Thinking to see a nutritionist but wanted to ask you first if you have any advise.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    In the US, I'd recommend seeing a registered dietician rather than a nutritionist, but that's an entirely different quibble.

Why are you feeling limited? What are you trying to accomplish by limiting yourself to things you're tired of? Are you trying to hit a particular protein target? Do you have allergies? Do you not like fish? It's easier to make recommendations if you tell us something more of your eating goals. How many calories are you trying to take in? What macros are you paying attention to?

Honestly, medical problems aside, if you're just trying to lose weight, you can do that entirely by eating within your calorie goals.

But the world isn't that simple. Bodies aren't that simple. The convoluted eating plans come in when we try to accommodate allergies, medical issues, exercise goals, and picky palates.

So tell us about you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to manage your weight it's all about calories. As a matter of fact, lots of different protein sources are better than just poultry. Same with vegetables, a variety of a lot of different sources is the best thing to do.

Log food, get variety, stay in calories, prosper.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I started from the same weight as you, by the way. After I converted it from kg to pounds to process in my American brain haha

Nothing wrong with chicken breast, eggs, and veggies, but that is kinda limiting. And there's definitely nothing wrong with seeing a nutritionist either - probably a good idea.

That all said, you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calories. Hopefully by now you've visited the MFP Goals tool, entered your height, weight, age, blah blah, and told it how much weight you want to lose per week. Whatever number it spits out for your calories, all you have to do is hit that number every day and you will lose the weight. You can eat chicken omelettes, or you can eat beef burritos with a side of chocolate chip cookies or Chinese takeout or a nice rib eye steak on the grill. It just doesn't matter, as long as you hit and do not exceed MFP's calorie number.

MFP told me I would lose 2 lbs per week with its calorie #, and I've lost exactly 2.02 lbs per week for over six months non stop. It really works, and it doesn't matter what you eat.

What actually does matter is that you eat foods you enjoy so that you don't start to feel deprived, limited, or hangry. Because those are the reasons people go off diets. You need to figure out what makes you feel like "Yeah, I'm enjoying my food, I could do this all the way to my goal weight" -- and then eat that. The most important thing is to stay on the diet. So, you should eat the foods you love and crave, just in managed portions so you stay within your MFP calorie target. It's that simple.

Of course, it's good to eat healthier most or a lot of the time. Your health isn't just about weight loss. Well balanced meals with proper nutrients are smarter than having a pint of ice cream for dinner every night. A trip to a nutritionist is a good idea. But none of that is strictly necessary for weight loss.
  • ejohn753
    ejohn753 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe try and find some people on here with similar goals and start height and weight then look at their food diary. Some people have their diary open which will allow you to get meal idears that may work for you. I'm nowhere near your size but as an example iv fitted in, burgers, pizza , meat balls , gammon , pie and fish so far this week as my main meals, iv found it useful to log my dinner first as thats my highest calorie meal then I fit in other meals and snacks around calories left. It's important to enjoy your food or you wont stick to it , good luck x
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    That’s sounds very restricted! I have an everything in moderation take on weight loss. Nothing is off-limits as long as it fits in my calories. So I try to eat healthy foods 80-90% of the time but also make room for the foods I love that maybe aren’t the healthiest. But I’ve found if I cut them out completely I just end up binging down the road.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? If your goal is just to manage your weight, then the only thing that matters is your calorie intake and calorie expenditure. You can eat literally anything you want within your calorie goal.

If you have other medical or fitness goals, then the question of what you should eat would depend on those things.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Tosmanta wrote:
    Hello all, I am big guy, 194cm and 134kg, I used to be 148kg until I started my diet. Mainly I depend on chicken breast, eggs and vegetables but I feel limited and I feel this should not be the right way. Thinking to see a nutritionist but wanted to ask you first if you have any advise.
    I'm 5'11''(183cm) and have gone from 270 lbs(122kg) to 222 lbs(107kg). If you compare original BMIs our starting points weren't that far apart and in my opinion, we both still have a ways to go.

I think seeing a nutritionist might be a good idea. If I depended on the few foods you mention I would feel very limited indeed. Why is your diet so restrictive? Is it because your cooking knowledge or skills are limited? If so I'd get help with that too. A nutritionist may have a suggestion in that regard; or do you have a friend or relation, handy in the kitchen, who could be your cooking coach or tutor? You don't need to become Jaime Oliver. You just need to be able cook a fish filet or pork chop. Maybe learn to cook a few kinds of whole grains. Also, you don't need a file cabinet full of recipes so much as mastery of a few cooking techniques.

Anyway, you're off to a good start big fella. Keep up the good work.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think seeing a nutritionist would be a good idea. In the meantime why don't you have a look at your macros (protein, fat and carbs)? Advice that I find helpful is to determine your minimum protein and fat requirements and then fill in the remaining calories with whatever you like.

You don't want to get bored eating the same food over and over as this may cause you to cheat and eat junk food.

Good luck!