Why do some people lose weight but not body fat?

For example let’s say someone who is 5.2ft currently weigh 65kg and at 29% body fat. This person gets to the goal weight of 55kg but the body fat has only decreased a bit, now only 27%. The person doesn’t look that different after losing the weight.

What’s the reason for this? Is it because this person lost weight too fast?

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited October 2019
    10kg loss and only a few % BF change?

I'd suspect that person probably does look quite different as I'm guessing they've probably lost a limb.

Serious answer is that it's probably a combination of poor measurement, lost muscle mass, water retention changes & difference between low/high point natural fluctuation between measurements..
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Satomi639 wrote: »
    For example let’s say someone who is 5.2ft currently weigh 65kg and at 29% body fat. This person gets to the goal weight of 55kg but the body fat has only decreased a bit, now only 27%. The person doesn’t look that different after losing the weight.

More likely it's due to using an inaccurate way of measuring, such as a bio-impedance scale.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Satomi639 wrote: »

That doesn't happen. More likely faulty BF% reading from an inaccurate tool like a bioimpedence scale combined with some body dismorphia.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Aside from previously mentioned inaccurate body fat measurements, weight loss does not equal fat loss. Yes, fat loss does occur, but lean mass and water loss do too.

It's quite easy to lose *weight* when you restrict calories and minimize protein. Protein breakdown is constant in the body, so without anything to maintain it (via protein intake and adequate resistance training), those numbers on the scale drop quite easily.

To lose mostly fat and reduce the rate of lean mass loss, eat adequate protein and resistance train, while maintaining a deficit. Weight loss may seem slower, but a good majority of that loss will be fat.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    boldknee wrote: »
    They lost body fat, just at almost the same rate as lean body mass, so the percentage stayed about the same. If they didn't lose any body fat, the percentage would increase.

It's important to know that it's normal to lose some lean body mass. A smaller body will have less lean body.
    I think this and the method of measurement is probably the case unless they lost alot of water due to a Keto diet in which case the water loss is very high. When I did low carb I often lost about 10 lbs of water. Once I started eating carbs again it came back.