Confused on weight loss scale

Options
Okay I am about 161 lbs. I am trying to lose weight on keto, and I have lowered my calories to 1200. My macros are 75 Fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs. Today I ate 1208 cal, 56 grams protein=20%, 98 grams fat=75%, and 6 grams of carbs =2% but it says in 2 weeks I will be 160.1 lbs. So in two weeks of eating like this, I will only lose maybe 1 pound. Something doesn't seem right. I put in that I would like to lose 2 lbs a week. Can someone explain this to me?

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    How did you determine the 1200 calories even for Keto? In general losing 2 lbs a week falls under people who have large amounts of weight to lose. LIke 75 or more pounds. And the less weight one is trying to lose then the weekly amount becomes less.
    So here in MFP if you put in your height, age, weight it will give a daily
    calorie amount, and you can indicate what you want to lose per week. Starting I think at .25 maybe .5lb and going up to 2 lbs per week. But that 2 lbs per week is aggressive depending on how much one has to lose.

Ok for what you are coming up for 1200 calories on Keto with your splits
    1200 x 20% for protein equals 240 calories divide that by 4. Soyou should be getting 60 grams of protein daily. For Fat same thing but divide by 9 as fat has more calories. So would be 100 grams
    But for your carbs even at 5% should be 15. Is that net carbs or not net? Becasue even with KETO or low carb, what makes one lose weight is the reduction in calories we eat.
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to loose weight, I recommend Intermittent Fasting (skip breakfast every day). If you want health then do Keto. And if you want a healthy weight loss do both. Keto will not make you loose weight, a caloric deficit will make you loose weight.
  • darklyndsea
    darklyndsea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    MFP will not give you calories below 1200/day, as it's generally agreed that going below that is unhealthy unless you're under medical supervision.
  • jessalittlemore
    jessalittlemore Posts: 65 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    EDIT: Ah, I misread your post. Agreed with the poster below!
  • raineyd55
    raineyd55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I will re-adjust my settings.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    How much a person can lose per week starts with how much energy they use on a daily basis. Everyone uses energy and how much depends on gender, height, weight, age and activity level. On average, with everything else being the same: men use more energy than women, taller more than shorter, younger more than older and heavier more than lighter. Even if you sit on the couch all day, moving only a bare minimum amount during the day, your body would still use energy for bodily functions like breathing, food digestion, heart beating, etc.

Personally I am 45, 146ish, female and pretty inactive without intentional exercise. I burn about 1550-1650 calories per day. So if I were to put a goal of 1-2 pounds into MFP, I would get an intake goal of 1200 calories (because MFP won't recommend lower) but would not realistically expect to lose 1-2 pounds per week. For me to eat 1050-1150 daily (1 pound average loss rate) or 550-650 calories per day (2 pound loss rate) would not be a safe or sustainable food goal.

One alternative is to exercise more. Keep in mind that intense exercise and/or putting a good deal of time daily into exercise could mean you need to increase your intake. If I were to walk 15 minutes a day I should still be ok at 1300-1400 intake (my goal for .5 pounds per week loss rate). But if I were to run 60-90 minutes a few times a week, I could burn a great deal more calories but would also need to eat perhaps 250-300 more daily to not feel fatigued and drained.