to run...or not to run?

Options
i am currently following a conditioning program for cheerleading that does weight training three days a week, and cardio 2-3 of the other days. I did my first strength training workout yesterday, and today, I am a little sore (especially my thighs). I was supposed to run today (I am doing the couch to 5k running program) but if i am going to be sore every time I run, is it worth it? I am considering either lowering my amount of reps for weight training or cutting down on cardio...but I know that I need cardio in order to lose weight and keep on top of my exercise goals. So...should I run or not? and will I be in pain like this every day after a workout? Thanks so much for the replies!

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    you get fewer aches as you get fitter. So no, you likely won't always ache. Generally I ache a little if I up my weights.

Running is certainly worth the effort.... If you want to be a runner. I love it. But if you're querying whether you should this early on, possibly it isn't for you?
  • ryan92408
    Options
    Keep going - you won't be sore everytime you run and the cardio will be a great way to push the lactic acid through your muscles. Also, be sure you drink plenty of water, it will help too!
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There's a saying that goes something like "You never regret a run, but you will regret not running."
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Perhaps go for a brisk walk today and have a good stretch afterwards. Get used to your strength training a couple more times and then start the running. You'll probably find you aren't so sore the next time - your muscles just aren't used to it at the moment. I wouldn't do nothing though, try to get moving, some exercise will almost certainly help with the soreness but I would stick to walking and stretching if you are very sore today.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The pain will decrease as your body gets used to being pushed. You're doing it right cardio plus weight training equals results. Just hang in there and try not to over-extend yourself at first. You'll do great.
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    I would say do a fast walk and concentrate on good form. I think if you run and are already sore, you risk injury that might put you farther behind. This is just my opinion but I think your body is telling you something.
  • jadeblue14
    jadeblue14 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I find the more water I drink, the less sore I am the next day. I've also heard some people say eating protein after a work out helps with the soreness. I haven't tried that yet.
    If you're legs are wobbly, don't run. You could always do less intense cardio, like a light jog or shorter workout. Just listen to your body. If it hurts, stop. For me, some easy cardio the day after intense weights warms up my muscles and lets me really stretch them out more. It seems to be helping recovery.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • cnegbuonu
    cnegbuonu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Actually, a slow long run will help the soreness. I started weight training again last Friday and was in pain all weekend. Yesterday I went for a slow 2 mile run and stretched and the soreness went away. But generally, the more you run, the less sore you become.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Running is great! I'm not the biggest fan (or rather, I don't like to run, but know very well the benefits of it) but it is the best. Also, doing cardio immediately after your strength training workouts reduces the amount of soreness you'll have next day.
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    Do some good stretching before & after, & go for the run, using the muscles will actually work some of the soreness out & as time goes by & you get more fit you wont be as sore. a little soreness means you are challenging yourself, a LOT of soreness & maybe you are doing too much. keep going you can do it!
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    before i got a personal trainer once a week i was going it alone and had no real clue about working out. i found id ache and lose motivation. since getting the help in the right way to exercise i have no trouble. i do a warm up, a bit of weight training and then some cardio. i drink a protein shake before and after workout and drink loads of water thru the day. seems to be working x
  • clairibou1
    clairibou1 Posts: 124
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone! i just went on a light 2 mile jog and my legs actually feel a ton better! woohoo! i can do this! :)