I HAVE TO VENT...THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Options
I've been a type 2 diabetic now for about 6 months. Not allowed anything white. I lived on pasta and bread. Now I am not allowed sodium, so that means: No carbs, no salt and no taste. I am sick of spending my little social security check on vegetables, fruits, special low carb items. I cook for myself, but dear lord, it is an enormous fight to find something I can buy/eat. I am so sick of this. I am 67, is all this crap worth it???? Low carb meals are loaded with cheese (salt) or sauce (salt). Now I am on fluid restriction for chf. NO SOUPS. I practically have Pinterest memorized but 9 out of 10 things I can't have. When I was in the hospital a couple weeks ago, my menu to order my meals had 95% of the items scratched out because of sugar, salt, carbs, liquid. Anyone else have to put up with this garbage??? And how do you survive???

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I've been a type 2 diabetic now for about 6 months. Not allowed anything white. I lived on pasta and bread. Now I am not allowed sodium, so that means: No carbs, no salt and no taste. I am sick of spending my little social security check on vegetables, fruits, special low carb items. I cook for myself, but dear lord, it is an enormous fight to find something I can buy/eat. I am so sick of this. I am 67, is all this crap worth it???? Low carb meals are loaded with cheese (salt) or sauce (salt). Now I am on fluid restriction for chf. NO SOUPS. I practically have Pinterest memorized but 9 out of 10 things I can't have. When I was in the hospital a couple weeks ago, my menu to order my meals had 95% of the items scratched out because of sugar, salt, carbs, liquid. Anyone else have to put up with this garbage??? And how do you survive???

Well, type 2 in remission here. Do you have to be VLC? or maybe a diet higher in less refined carbs such as fruits and veggies? Do certain "carbs" elevate your BS more than others?
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    DM2 here too. Have gradually adjusted to the same changes - in taste, smell, texture, choices. There are lots of no salt seasonings, do spaghetti noodles out of zucchini or squash (can't tell the difference) & learn to embrace the stench of cauliflower. Basically avoid anything already processed/prepared as it's sky high in Na. But I like fruit & indian and thai food, and eat it occasionally despite bloating for a few days. Find things you like and enjoy.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Check out Mastering Diabetes & PCRM.org. Anything initially can be difficult without the right tools. Given the multiple health conditions you should also get a referral to a RD (registered dietitian) to help manage. Best of luck to you!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are feeling defeated. Insist on that referral. Get a diet plan in writing. You should not be miserable while you take care if yourself. A registered dietician can help you formulate a plan.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The diet I do is called the six week body makeover..it is an old diet that was around about ten years or so ago. It is fabulous and it is the only eating plan that has worked for me. The diet's founder died unexpectedly and it is no longer marketed as it used to be.

However, this could work for you because the key to this plan is to eat more...I never count calories....but everything is whole foods and all salt/sodium is eliminated besides the natural state of food. It is amazing how this diet just fixes a sore tired body. I have learned certain tricks while cooking.. I no longer miss salt... in fact when I eat restaurant food I almost can't stand it because of all the sodium.

I use wine, all types of vinegars... and especially balsamic vinegar to marinate my steaks and meats..I also use that and red wine vinegars in soups to add zest and favor dimension . I also use that for my stir fries... I use lemons and limes too to add a taste of zest or salt in my salads. Beyond that there are onions, garlic..and herbs to add so me real flavor.

You can do this.. you just have to relearn how you've been eating. You can't do repackaged meals...learn to meal prep..and get your health and life back.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Who gave you the rule of “nothing white” and “no sodium”? Was it your doctor? A registered dietician? Or a plan you found/created yourself?

I wondered too.

"no sodium" isn't healthy.

I'd recommend talking to a professional.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    @jingles0231 a registered dietitian will solve most of your problems
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    My husband became type2 & was on insulin for 10+ years. Today he is off insulin, lost about 65 lbs & feels great. He was a sweet a holic for sure. He would eat 2+ servings of sweets every day, have huge servings of food & he drank beer too. What happened was he got all his top teeth pulled & decided to wait till his gums healed before getting dentures which took about 6 months. He stopped drinking beer & started eating soft foods like P butter, egg salad etc. Our son gave us his old nutribullit & he started looking up what things to put in smoothie that's nutritious since that was going to be his main meal. He put things like blueberry's , flax seeds, nuts p butter & used almond milk. For dinner he put whatever I made for dinner in there, added milk & made a cream soup. The morning smoothies satisfied his sweet tooth & the rest was teaching him how to eat balanced meals . He started to lose weight & feel better, his BS got better. After his dentures he got used to eating different & kept going with his new way of eating which became a new habit by now. example is before he would have 3-4 eggs cooked in grease from bacon or sausage, 2 slice of bread, bacon or sausage most mornings then have piece of pie or whatever else he had on hand from store because I didn't cook all those sweets he wanted, today he'll have 2 eggs, 1 toast of none, 2 piece of bacon , turkey sausage or nothing or oatmeal. He still makes a smoothie a day, has one serving of some type of sweet a day, has nuts/fruits every day & eats a lot more veggies than he used to, a lot less grease. He goes for walk or bike ride every day & does some exercise with the rubber pully things his Dr told him for his achy neck & feels great. We are both on social security & I've always cooked mostly from scratch, he just used to skip the veggies & have bread, rice or pasta instead. He doesn't put extra salt on his foods. I do use salt in cooking & usually have some kind of soup on hand during the cooler weather that I make, we rarely eat processed foods. He eats salads now too.
  • melichalupa
    melichalupa Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am NOT an RD but I do work with CHF patients. For those on the thread that don’t know what that is, it’s congestive heart failure. I am sorry about the stress you are experiencing and I understand the frustration. Extreme limited sodium and liquid intake are necessary for your heart’s health. The issue is the pumping and squeezing of the heart. I recommend seeing a Nutritionist at your medical facility or an RD provided by your insurance that has experience with shopping with their patients and cooking together. You do want to go for 50% veggies when you eat always... but that’s easier said then done if you don’t have the tools. Speak to someone and ASK for additional work other than sitting in an office!
    @jingles0231
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I was just told I am pre diabetic and have to cut carbs. I am also on SS. I buy lean meats, fresh vegetables when they’re on sale or canned low sodium vegetables and rinse them to remove more sodium. Frozen vegetables have less sodium and go on sale frequently. The 12 grain bread is good. I suspect you have already seen a dietitian however you may want a second opinion because it sounds like they restricted too much. There are many books at the library with low cost low carb recipes. Good luck! Anyone can add me as a friend!

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Echoing the recommendation for diabetics to see an RD. Depending on what your health care/insurance situation is like, it may not cost you anything. I have many diabetics in the family and their medical plans have always covered an RD consultation for someone diagnosed with diabetes.
  • BachataDancer
    BachataDancer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    100% whole wheat bread (I like Dave's 21 grain), or sprouted grain bread fits the "no white" and has flavor.
  • BirdLadyBG
    BirdLadyBG Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband has type 2 diabetes and has fur about 49 years. He did not get good advice and did not change his high carb diet. He has kidney issues now, has lost 95% of his sight, has neuropathy in his feet and hands and just beat leukemia. I’ve tried to talk him into eating healthier but he says there’s no sense in eating things he doesn’t like. Realize, if you don’t get support and advice from dieticians, etc., you could end up like him! That’s why I enrolled in a pre-diabetes program... I don’t want to get diabetes!!!