Joint Pain and Weight Loss Realisation

Options
Realisation Moment Tonight - I wanted to start today with my calorie counting but lack of staff lead to a working lunch which meant I picked. I have been off work for a week, walking a lot as away and only a small amount of pain in my knees and back. Back to work at my desk job pain is back. My colleague felt my knee as I moved it and thinks the scraping could cartilage. I’m 32 I shouldn’t be allowing myself to go through this so no matter what happens tomorrow I’m doing this. NO EXCUSE!

If anyone could kindly recommend any exercises that would reduce the pressure in my knees and lower back please feel free xx

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will alleviate the pressure, but for now your exercise should not include any jarring activity. Walking or swimming are low/no impact.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend time in the pool. I swim and water walk or jog with zero impact on my arthritic joints.
  • terisc87mfp
    terisc87mfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    boldknee wrote: »
    What protects a joint best is strong muscles surrounding it. You should work with a physical therapist to develop a safe and effective strength training regimen. Good luck!

Would you say a personal trainer?

• Horsekeeper
    Horsekeeper Posts: 21 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi - nine years ago I thought I had arthritis in my knees, and that they would always hurt unless I got them replaced. My doctor examined me, and told me that tight ligaments had pulled both kneecaps out of alignment. He sent me to a massage therapist, for some treatments that were kind of uncomfortable but extremely effective. This worked! My kneecaps are now aligned, and my knees don't hurt. If you can find the right massage therapist (not the kind of relaxing massage you get at a spa, but a real therapist) or a good physio therapist, they may well be able to help you. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    What protects a joint best is strong muscles surrounding it. You should work with a physical therapist to develop a safe and effective strength training regimen. Good luck!

Personal trainers would not necessarily have the qualification to help that physical therapists definitely do.

Here are the exercises my physical therapist gave me:

jphdn95mh9z4.jpg

I do them (plus foam rolling and other exercises) as part of my warm up for everything - yoga, hiking, weight lifting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    Realisation Moment Tonight - I wanted to start today with my calorie counting but lack of staff lead to a working lunch which meant I picked. I have been off work for a week, walking a lot as away and only a small amount of pain in my knees and back. Back to work at my desk job pain is back. My colleague felt my knee as I moved it and thinks the scraping could cartilage. I’m 32 I shouldn’t be allowing myself to go through this so no matter what happens tomorrow I’m doing this. NO EXCUSE!

If anyone could kindly recommend any exercises that would reduce the pressure in my knees and lower back please feel free xx

Were you crossing your legs when at work and not when off work? Crossing my legs really irritates my knee, so I try very hard to not do that.

Also, were you wearing better shoes off work vs at work?

Also, for back pain - how good is your chair at work? My chair makes a HUGE difference for me, as does getting up briefly every hour or so.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options

I suggest you see an actual doctor rather than having a colleague diagnose you.
  • terisc87mfp
    terisc87mfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

I will be seeing a doctor but appointments are hard so I’m trying to see what I can do in the mean time x
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

I will be seeing a doctor but appointments are hard so I’m trying to see what I can do in the mean time x

Since the actual problem is not yet diagnosed, you could risk making it worse. There are many many types of knee problems, each requiring specific treatment. Good luck. Water exercises are probably the safest
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    Options

You are so young, you really should see a sports doctor and be accurately diagnosed. My son while in HS took a month off of sports, he started running and playing soccer again and his knee swelled. We did go to a very good sports medicine doctor, who after his intern scared the bejeezus out of us, pointed out my son was bow legged (honestly never noticed) and his ACL was tight since he had not done anything for a month. I am not saying this is what is going on with you, but the solution could be simple... I am one step from having arthritis in my knee with a minimal amount of cartilage left, and that was diagnoses by my orthopedist who then gave me specific instructions to protect, strengthen, and avoid for hopefully preventing that small amount of cartilage from dissipating.

Also- RICE- Rest, Ice, Compress Elevate- the Rice method may come in handy until you have a doctors appointment.