Low cal but filling breakfast ideas. Saving up for lunch binge

Options
We are having a family lunch and I would love to spend most of my daily calorie allowance on it. What can I eat for breakfast+ pre-bed cause one big meal a day isn't going to cut it. Also I have been considering a low cal meal replacement shake for times like these. Any suggestions?

Replies

• aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What is low calorie to you?

My breakfast this morning was 267 calories: 1/2 cup egg whites, 4 slices of turkey bacon and a Lite whole grain english muffin.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Some ideas:
    Egg white omelet
    Non fat Greek yogurt and fruit
    Protein powder in ice coffee
    Cottage cheese and tomato
    Kodiak cakes pancake with sugar free syrup
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Toast with half an avocado. Its lowish but maybe higher than some other ideas. But the avocado having a lot if (healthy) fat makes you feel fuller than most other options.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    An alternative idea is to just take a very small amount of everything there and NOT use all your calories at one meal. It's what I do at every potluck now. I will have tasted everything, and can compliment all the chefs, and because I take it nice and slow in eating what's on my plate, I finish the same time as everyone else.

I do same thing at family gathering and if we go to a buffet. Sample everything that looks good, if something doesn't taste amazing, get rid of it politely and try something else instead. Eat slowly, savor and enjoy. The "eating slowly" part is a work for me on it's own, I'm very fast eater, but by slowing down i get to appreciate food more and i don't have to sit with an empty plate while everyone is still eating.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    You could just have nothing?

Other than that then the answer is 'anything you find filling'. You'd know what you find filling better than anyone here would so eat that in amounts that meet your calorie target for the meal.
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    An apple or a banana with 30 g peanut or almond butter. I had an apple with peanut butter this morning and it was 217 calories. And I completely agree with going on maintenance for the day. I always do that on holidays and special occasions; it helps you enjoy the day while still tracking. But truly, if it’s just one meal and one day, just enjoy and eat normally tomorrow.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually below 200 every day so some of my breakfasts include Ocean's Snack Kit (the one with Rice crackers) 146 calories. Thin bagel with very light smear of Lite Cream cheese 160 calories. Finn Crisp crackers (4) with light smoked salmon cream cheese 180 calories. Built Protein bar 110 calories. I find the higher my protein is the less hungry I am.
  • julanig612
    julanig612 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I have noticed that I have been eating heavy only at supper, while starving most of the day. My husband cooks delicious but very calorie dense meals and since I come home very late, usually starving, I save all day to have a decent sized meal. Will this affect weight loss? Is it better to space calories? I have looked at meal replacement shakes but they are not really low enough in calories to make it worth not eating real food.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    julanig612 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input everyone. I have noticed that I have been eating heavy only at supper, while starving most of the day. My husband cooks delicious but very calorie dense meals and since I come home very late, usually starving, I save all day to have a decent sized meal. Will this affect weight loss? Is it better to space calories? I have looked at meal replacement shakes but they are not really low enough in calories to make it worth not eating real food.

Calorie timing is really only important for people with certain medical conditions, people who are very active, professional caliber athletes, and those who wish to train like professional caliber athletes.

It has no bearing on weight loss.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

My husband does the same and I just eat less. He's used to it now that I only eat small servings of what he cooks. I work in a very busy job and workout first thing in the morning so I can't not eat all day. I try save around 500 calories for dinner.

Also talk to him, see if he can help you out there.
  • ImChipper
    ImChipper Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Honestly having struggled with this in the past, I say either know your limits at dinner- or ask your husband to support you by changing a few things with dinner, or make your own healthier dinner. The only thing I'd say really should be paid attention to is that people tend to make worse food decisions when starving. You eat more, you eat faster, you eat more of the wrong thing, etc. Also, your body runs out of energy during the day, making it harder to focus, finish projects, and just do your daily thing. Remember this is a machine that can only run on what you give it. It's like asking if you should only fill up your gas tank when the needle is on red and the engine is sputtering. Energy is energy. If you do a lot of energy burning during the day, you need energy. If you go home and eat a bunch of food that is not good for you then go straight to bed, I know they say it doesn't matter, but I can't help but think there's a difference.

Anyway, you need to decide what a decent size meal is, and why it takes you all day to save up for one. Either you are eating way under calorie, or these decent size meals are not decent. <3 Good luck and I hope you find what you need.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Honestly having struggled with this in the past, I say either know your limits at dinner- or ask your husband to support you by changing a few things with dinner, or make your own healthier dinner. The only thing I'd say really should be paid attention to is that people tend to make worse food decisions when starving. You eat more, you eat faster, you eat more of the wrong thing, etc. Also, your body runs out of energy during the day, making it harder to focus, finish projects, and just do your daily thing. Remember this is a machine that can only run on what you give it. It's like asking if you should only fill up your gas tank when the needle is on red and the engine is sputtering. Energy is energy. If you do a lot of energy burning during the day, you need energy. If you go home and eat a bunch of food that is not good for you then go straight to bed, I know they say it doesn't matter, but I can't help but think there's a difference.

Anyway, you need to decide what a decent size meal is, and why it takes you all day to save up for one. Either you are eating way under calorie, or these decent size meals are not decent. <3 Good luck and I hope you find what you need.

The difference is you can run on stored energy so you are not out of fuel.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    When I was eating eggs I would make 2 eggs with about 1/3 of avocado. That breakfast was extremely filling for me.

Also, a small potato hash with onions and bell peppers will be very filling and not high calorie.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I find a protein meal helps me- so I usually eat a two good yogurt or some other yogurt when i can't fid tow good- like dannonlight or whatever- then about 1 or 2 ounces of cheerios(for the crunch)- also 2 servings of egg white with a lot of veggies and 1 ounce of meat- is good for me-
  • ElReyDelMundo365
    ElReyDelMundo365 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Something high in fiber. Then drink alot of water as well.