What is a healthy but also slim weight for a girl who is around 5’9”

Options
Hi everyone. I thought I’d get some strangers opinions as I’m curious what other tall women feel is a good weight for them. I am not 100% sure of my height. I have been measured at 5’9.5” a few times 5’10” a couple times and one time a short nurse couldn’t reach my head and I was measured at 5’8 3/4”. I know I’m at least 5’9” which means I’m taller than 98% of women and I have a hard time relating to shorter friends goals.

I have a few friends who are 5’5” and probably around 120-125 which is totally average at that height but for me when I weigh that I wear a size 0 loosely.

I used to have a slightly skewed view of myself in high school, so I know my views on weight aren’t 100% the norm. I’m hoping to change that with more exposure to others opinions and with healthy lifestyle changes. :)

What is a good weight for you if you are 5’9” or over ? What would you think would be healthy for this height?

Thanks!

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    There is no one right answer. 120-125 would definitely be too for you. Let's say you are 5'9.5". What is considered a "normal" BMI is anywhere between 128 and 171 pounds. As you can see, that is quite a wide range. You likely do not want to be at the very low end of that as it can be hard to maintain, and despite being considered "normal" is not necessarily healthy for everyone. A lot of women tend to target around mid point of BMI (21 or so) as a target weight. In your case, that would be 145 pounds.

That could be a good target for you, or maybe you decide you want to carry some more muscle, and then maybe towards the higher end of normal BMI is a better fit for you. But without knowing anything about you, the 140-155 range is probably a good place to start seeing how you feel.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 5"8 and weighs around 180 but she looks trim,not overly thin but in proportion so I think it just varies,she also had a skewed vision of herself in high school and ended up with an eating disorder😭 luckily she's fine now but still always trying to lose"10 pounds" I think it's hard for you taller girls cuz you hear how your shorter friends weigh 115 or 120 and cringe at the 145+ numbers but your friends' weights would look awful on you tall gals💖
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm 5'8 and my happiest weight was 135 (toned and decent muscle mass). I think I was around 20% body fat. (19-22 was my range back then).

From the averages I've seen (and this is not scientific - just am impression I have) it seems like an inch difference makes about 5-10 lbs different fir the same body fat %. So like sometimes who is 5'6 is in the 120 range, 5'7 low 130, 5'8 mid 130's etc. Etc. So based on not great estimates, maybe 140-150 for someone 5'9?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    My wife is 5'9", usually stays around 140 lbs and wears a 6-8 depending on styles and brands. She's not muscular but is an avid runner, occasionally does yoga, and played volleyball in high school.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have wide hips and I'm not "slim" at all...but at 5'8" and anywhere from 160-180 I feel good, and try to stay in the middle of that range most of the time. I'm also 42, though.

A lot of my friends who are shorter, in the 5'3-5'5 range, wear the same pant size as me (10 in most brands) and weigh around 140-150. Just for reference.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" around 160 lbs and size 4...I have been as light as 135, but I was 2 sizes larger at that time. It's not really about the scale, body composition and measurements matter more to me...I'm currently between 17-18% body fat and trying to squeak down to 15% before the end of the year. Which to be fair, is only about a 6 lb drop in weight, or less if I also put on some more muscle...at the moment my lifting is increasing in weights, so either I'm growing muscle or just adapting, but I'll do measurements at the end of the month to confirm.

According to my weight chart anything between 129 and 170 is a healthy weight for 5'9"...so it's quite a range depending on bone structure and body composition. I was way too thin when I was 110, I feel like I was way too thin even when I was 125, so I wouldn't ever want to be that thin again.

Also, if you might be 5'10" then the lowest healthy weight on my chart for that is 132...let me see if I can find a web version of this chart, it might help you...though it lists me as "small frame" and while I agree with that listing, I'm way over the ideal weight for that range, and I have no desire to lose muscle to be that weight. I'm looking to be totally badass, not totally skinny, but to each their own.

This looks like the same chart:
    https://thefreewindows.com/normal-weight/
  • CaitlinELaird
    CaitlinELaird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have you talked with your doctor about it? I am going to see mine in a few weeks for a check-up and I am going to ask the same question because I am in the 5'9"-5'10" range and I'm curious about what she thinks. I'm currently in the 160-ish range and I'm not happy, but I'm also mostly fat and not a lotta muscle! :smiley: I'm currently working on that, and working on having a healthier view of my body and the weight on it. (I have struggled with eating disorders and whatnot for over 20 years, so it will take some time but I will get there.)
    If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to message me!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and currently weigh 173, which is OK but I am carrying more weight than I want to. I don't want to be thin but my aim is to get to 159, then work on getting my body fat percentage to 30 and see what I look like. When I was 18 I weighed 145 and looked good BUT I know I had no muscle to speak of, and now I want muscle so I will want to weigh more.
  • Leo_exoh
    Leo_exoh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and currently around 128.. I'm not 100% sure what that equates to BMI wise but I'm pretty sure I'm on the low end of the healthy weight range. But I've next to nothing muscle wise... I need to get that number up really by building muscle.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on your body composition and frame size. You could shoot for the middle of the BMI range and reevaluate when you get there.

I have a large frame (big wrists, hands, feet, head, broad shoulders, etc.) and am shooting for just over the top of the BMI for my height.

I know small-framed Asian women who are perfect at the bottom of their BMI range.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I’m 5 ft 8.5 and 136 pounds. I’m too lean in the top half and carry some fat stil in my lower half. I’m planning on bulking as would like some more muscle at around 10 pounds heavier
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'9" myself and trying to pare down to 200lbs. That being said, I have a number of factors that play into that seemingly high goal weight. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome- this means my body produces more testosterone than a female without PCOS. That translates to, in my case, a very large skeletal structure and more bulk muscle versus lean muscle. So while the typical BMI chart says I should weigh 145lbs, I have been that weight and looked like I was going to keel over from starvation at any minute.
    For example: I wear a size 12 shoe, an XL glove, I have very broad shoulders, and at my current weight of 303lbs I can feel most of my ribs and my illiac crests (hip bones); 145lbs is just too little for my very large frame.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and my goal weight is 135. I hit my goal weight about 6 years ago, maintained for a few years - and then let the pounds creep back on. But I liked how I looked at that weight. I'm sitting at 154 right now, and while I'm certainly not overweight, I'm not as lean as I like. Like others have suggested - perhaps shoot for the middle of the range and then reevaluate.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'9" myself and trying to pare down to 200lbs. That being said, I have a number of factors that play into that seemingly high goal weight. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome- this means my body produces more testosterone than a female without PCOS. That translates to, in my case, a very large skeletal structure and more bulk muscle versus lean muscle. So while the typical BMI chart says I should weigh 145lbs, I have been that weight and looked like I was going to keel over from starvation at any minute.
    For example: I wear a size 12 shoe, an XL glove, I have very broad shoulders, and at my current weight of 303lbs I can feel most of my ribs and my illiac crests (hip bones); 145lbs is just too little for my very large frame.

I see you've received several "disagrees" but I can honestly imagine this being true about 145 lb being too small for your frame. I used to be around 300 lb but I had a size 5 ring, size 7 shoe, tiny wrists, etc. I'm not meant to weigh 200+ for sure. However, at 160 lb (my lowest) I still have wide, wide hips and pretty broad shoulders and I know I might look fashionable at 145 but I don't think I'd look my best, to be honest. I think the wonky blood work and low, low libido I had around 160-163 tells me a lot about my "happy weight" and right now at 170-173 I truly feel my best.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Just as no one way of eating works for everyone, there is no one answer to the OP's question.

I have a weight range I chose as a final goal. As I get closer to that number, I will reevaluate. Once I feel healthy and fit, I won't care what the number on the scale is.
  • YoureAWalnut
    YoureAWalnut Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"10 and currently at 188 lbs. My goal is to get down to 150 lbs since that is normal BMI but after seeing some of these posts I'm starting to feel that may be too low. I was between 160-170 for multiple years after college and have only recently gained the 10-20 lbs that put me over 180.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I’m 5’9, I weigh 148lbs. I’ll agree that body composition is more than just height and weight. What is lean on one person, may not be for the next.

My BMI is 21.9. I wear a size 8/10 in most clothing. I’ve been a size 4 and I’ve been a size 16. I felt best and thought I looked best around 130ish. Normal BMI range is considered 18.5-24.9. At 130lbs that makes my BMI about 19.2.

Most people would think for my height and weight I would be very slender - truth is - I’m very small boned and my family tends to be long and lanky. So I have some extra fat on me, not a lot - but my waist is 31inches, my hips are 41 inches. That’s up from 25/35. I wish I could say that was big bones, but it’s not! Lol! I have about 6-7 extra inches of love there that I’m trying to whittle down. (Crazy to think when i was 18 - i was 118lbs and ate like a beast!)
    I don’t really look at lbs anymore- mostly inches and how my clothes fit. My goal is to build more muscle and be lean and solid and healthy. So as I tighten and tone - I re evaluate my goal as I drop the inches.
    So for me- my range would probably be 130-140ish. (Size 6ish) Knowing the aim is muscle density and fat loss and my waist getting back to the area of 25inches - ish.

• Privatesandbank
    Privatesandbank Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I’m 5’9, I weigh 148lbs. I’ll agree that body composition is more than just height and weight. What is lean on one person, may not be for the next.

My BMI is 21.9. I wear a size 8/10 in most clothing. I’ve been a size 4 and I’ve been a size 16. I felt best and thought I looked best around 130ish. Normal BMI range is considered 18.5-24.9. At 130lbs that makes my BMI about 19.2.

Most people would think for my height and weight I would be very slender - truth is - I’m very small boned and my family tends to be long and lanky. So I have some extra fat on me, not a lot - but my waist is 31inches, my hips are 41 inches. That’s up from 25/35. I wish I could say that was big bones, but it’s not! Lol! I have about 6-7 extra inches of love there that I’m trying to whittle down. (Crazy to think when i was 18 - i was 118lbs and ate like a beast!)
    I don’t really look at lbs anymore- mostly inches and how my clothes fit. My goal is to build more muscle and be lean and solid and healthy. So as I tighten and tone - I re evaluate my goal as I drop the inches.
    So for me- my range would probably be 130-140ish. (Size 6ish) Knowing the aim is muscle density and fat loss and my waist getting back to the area of 25inches - ish.

Are you me?! I’m incredibly small framed. My wrists are 4.5 inches and I have size 4 fingers. My shoulders are nonexistent even at a high weight lol