Finding a new me

Options
Hello everyone, I'd like to start off by saying this is extremely hard for me. I'm a shy person. I feel it is time to try and branch out and help myself now. I've been on a a rollercoaster of a weight problem. I stand still at a weight and then I gain. I've given up on the weight loss and to be quit honest I gave up on myself. I heard about mfp and I figured if I could hold myself accountable to someone or something I would stick with it. I started about a week ago watching what I eat, getting outside exercising at least walking. I'm still learning and getting to know what I can and cannot do right now and have made goals to where I want to be and what I want to accomplish with baby steps to an ultimate goal. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. If you would like to message me or friend me please dont hesitate.

Replies

• coconutstrut
    coconutstrut Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    You can do this just follow the advice from ellie 117 just remember it takes time. Good luck
  • BillM1976
    BillM1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Wishing you lots of luck (and perseverance) in accomplishing your goals!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Welcome :smiley:

Definitely take pictures for your before photos. You will regret it if you don't as it gives you a feeling of accomplishment. Take your pictures from different angles - side, front and backwards and wear something tight so you will easily be able to see the changes over time. I photograph myself every month and have just recently been able to see big changes. My first month I didn't see any change in my photos but my weight changed greatly.

Be as precise as you can putting everything into your diary. It is time consuming and hard at first but soon gets easier. If you tend to make the same meals or eat the same things you can just go to your recent list and select that stuff again without searching the whole database.

Take your measurements as well as doing your weight. I measure once a month but weigh daily. Some people weigh weekly or not at all.

Most of weight loss is about calorie counting. As the saying goes you can't outrun a bad diet. If you have a lot to lose you might want to focus more on calorie counting for now.

Try to enjoy your journey and good luck :)
  • coconutstrut
    Options
    Thank all of you for the inspiring words and wonderful advice I appreciate it so very much.
  • RamblinMan2
    RamblinMan2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP! Congrats on taking a big step forward to a new, healthy lifestyle!

MFP has got a lot of good data and some neat options; be sure to check out both the app and the online site because they each offer some different features and ways to do things.

Put your motivation(s) out in front of you every day and keep your eyes on the prize. Stay consistent and be persistent and you'll do great!
  • aracely2224
    aracely2224 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP has helped me achieve my goals with the calorie count. I’m cheering for you!

You can do it! 🌺
  • mholl15
    mholl15 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    it's a tough journey but MFP has the best users and we are all here for you, feel free to connect
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    Someone told me today wow you are looking so slim, yippee it's working mainly the exercise routine feeling much stronger for an old bird.
  • coconutstrut
    Options
    All of you ate amazing thank you for the support.
  • heyjude0225
    heyjude0225 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You got this!
  • TabbyJustice
    TabbyJustice Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think you did the right thing in deciding to log your food and exercise. I have a lot of similar traits as you, especially the shy part and giving up on yourself. I've gained so much weight in the past two years from anxiety induced laziness and becoming complacent telling myself "it's not a big deal being heavy". Then I realized I feel like blah because I'm making myself that way! I would love to be your friend on here. Maybe we can keep each other motivated!
  • coconutstrut
    Options
    Sure thing! I would love to help keep you motivated and be a friend!