washing shoes?

Options
The park I run in has lots of red dirt and my shoes are starting to look a bit...groady. I want to throw them in the washing machine, but I don't want to ruin them. Does anybody out there wash their running shoes? Do you put them in with a load of regular laundry? Do they mess up the laundry they are with? Does washing them wear them out faster or ruin them some other way?

Thanks!

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's actually recommended you put them in the dishwasher... as well as baseball hats.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Don't wash my running shoes much, but with cleats I only ever do it by hand. Minimal amount of soap if any, and stuff them (or wear them) afterward to make sure they keep there shape. To shape cleats you are just supposed to take a shower in them and them leave them on for a few hours, I would be wary of high temperatures/detergents.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Running around on soccer fields I get my shoes pretty dirty. I usually was them by hand under a running tap and then let them dry in the sun. Stuffing them with old news paper can help speed the drying time but you have to keep changing the news paper. On rare occasions I have put them in the dryer. When I do I usually tie them inside of a pillow case to help protect them and the dryer from damage. I have no proof but I tend to think the non-fabric portions (leather, rubber, plastic, etc) will fare better in the long term if not exposed to machine washing and drying.
  • guamchar
    guamchar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have washed my shoes before in the washing machine. I wash them with a regular load of laundry (usually my husband's work clothes because they're gross anyhow). I have to make sure that my washer doesn't get off track, because occasionally the shoes will throw the washer out of balance. When that happens, I just temporarily stop the washer and move the clothes and shoes around so everything isn't off balanced. I dry the shoes outside. I'm afraid of drying them in the dryer (maybe they'll shrink or bang up against the side of the dryer too hard). That's just my experience. Hope it helps.:tongue:
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Anytime I've ever washed my tennis shoes, they never feel the same. They feel 'broken down' and don't last nearly as long. I don't do it anymore. I use Clorox Kitchen Clean Up (spray bottle) to clean (scrub) the outside of the shoes, soak the laces in bleach and water and hang to dry. When the shoes dry I use a cotton pad and rub hand lotion on the leather to condition it.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Think I read somewhere that you are not supposed to put your running shoes in the washer, because they will warp, even in cold water. Would suggest surface cleaning in your sink, and maybe getting some runners shoe spray if they stink. Fleet Feet suggests replacing running shoes every 6 months...maybe it's time for a new pair?
  • falconer60
    Options
    Hi everyone I am new and looking for a good pair of shoes for walking. Right now I walk about 7 miles a day in 104 min. my feet are showing signs of some minor bruising almost like bed sores.HELP!!! I don't want to stop as I started out at 220 lb, I am currently at 200 in about 8 weeks. Would like to get to 160 and maintain.