Anxiety Eater

Options
Hi my name is Trish. I'm 45 years old and live in Michigan. My biggest challenges are eating when I'm bored or stressed. But I'm trying to cut down on fast food and snacking and that seems to be helping a lot. I'm really busy so making healthy meals can seem time consuming and not much fun. I'd love a few friends to encourage weight loss and talk about successes and challenges with. I did pretty good in the past when I was part of a weight watchers group because I had accountability each week to lose. Does anyone have advice how to not give into snacking cravings when stressed?

Replies

• mhetzel1983
    mhetzel1983 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Michelle. I also struggle with stress eating/bingeing. I've been listening to a podcast by Kirstin Sarfde that has been helpful. She gives advice and tips on dealing with stress eating/binge eating.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater also, try to think how I will feel the next morning when I get on those scales. I try to think how I will feel when I cant wear my clothes. Try to comfort myself with hot tea or go and do something to distract myself. Sometimes a nice hot bath will comfort me. Journaling has helped also, helps me figure out my feelings.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Hi Trish and welcome to MFP.

There's a no more late night snacking challenge that might interest you (not specifically about stress, but any reason):
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10766654/no-more-late-night-snacking-october-2019-challenge#latest

You can plan some snacks for times when you're stressed, meaning fit them into your calories. My snacks include Greek yogurt with almonds or blueberries, a cup of soup, or a hot drink. You can also go for a walk or do other exercise. Many people don't keep trigger foods around.
  • patriciahollandott
    Options
    Thanks Brenn, I was thinking about journaling. I thought journaling here might help because I feel like someone is listening and can relate to how I feel. I do enjoy hot earl grey tea. Removing trigger foods is tough since my husband likes to eat the really unhealthy ones and my 19 and 21 year old bring home food too. But since I don't eat gluten, I've been buying ice cream with gluten so I'm not tempted to eat it. I've also been trying to keep healthy snacks around at work so I won't eat the chocolate that is abundantly available here. But chocolate and ice cream are the two foods that are the hardest to avoid, they taste so yummy. BUt reminding myself that I don't want to outgrow my favorite skirts and jeans is good incentive to stay clear.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi! I'm Michelle. I also struggle with stress eating/bingeing. I've been listening to a podcast by Kirstin Sarfde that has been helpful. She gives advice and tips on dealing with stress eating/binge eating.

I am totally checking this out! I am a stress/boredom/binge eater, too. I am really trying to focus on just eating when I am hungry. Seems like such a simple thing to do, but I find it the most difficult.

I just found the podcasts -- the website is www.coachkir.com. I did not find them thru my phones podcast search.
  • mhetzel1983
    mhetzel1983 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »

I am totally checking this out! I am a stress/boredom/binge eater, too. I am really trying to focus on just eating when I am hungry. Seems like such a simple thing to do, but I find it the most difficult.

I just found the podcasts -- the website is www.coachkir.com. I did not find them thru my phones podcast search.

It's called "The Stop Binge Eating Podcast". I think you can also listen to it on her website.

I know what you mean. I always thought there was something wrong with me (not disciplined enough, not strong enough...). I have to learn to be nicer to myself and more mindful when I am eating.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Try filling out the food diary a few days in advance. It helped me conquer my emotional overeating.

Good luck!
  • caprihana
    caprihana Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been there and totally understand how hard putting food on top of stress really is. If anyone here would like to friend me I'd be happy to be as much support as I can. I was thinking of making some kind of website or community so maybe you can be my motivation! <3
  • patriciahollandott
    Options
    I go on facebook if you wanted to create a support group there.
  • smn888
    smn888 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater as well. Everyones situation is different but maybe talk to your doctor about medication. I'm on medication for this and while its not 100% cure it definately helps me... I still have to work and stay motivated to change... reach out to the support networks available to you.
  • caprihana
    Options
    I go on facebook if you wanted to create a support group there.

Ok, I'll do it. If anyone would be interested like this post and I'll look into setting up a private group!
  • jeslz
    jeslz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a massive stress/emotional/boredom eater as well. I was always snacking after dinner, usually for something to do. Or eating because it made me feel good when I was down. Which is just a horrid cycle.

I’ve actually gone pretty drastic and am now one week post gastric band surgery. Will be using this tool to cut my portion sizes and stop me from the mindless binging. I’m currently 12kg down and have another 50kg to go. It’s been a rough week to start with, but onwards and upwards from here!
  • caprihana
    Options
    Saw this on Instagram this morning....thought it might we worth a look

https://instagram.com/p/B3urvKNHPaA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
  • MarissaRiv23
    MarissaRiv23 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Try filling out the food diary a few days in advance. It helped me conquer my emotional overeating.

Good luck!

I agree with this. It helped me stay on track as well.
    Also, you may want to check out healthy quick recipes on Pinterest. There is so many healthy meal options that will only take you about 30 minutes to make. Or if you have a crock pot, even better. You just have to invest the time in your health. I finally did and it helped me lose 100lbs. Trust me, you can do this!!!!! ❤️