Standing burns more calories than walking - ??

Options
So here's a conundrum - or is it a fault with MFP?

According to the exercise calculator, for my weight, walking for 3 hours (180 minutes) burns 649 calories. Standing still and doing nothing else for the same amount of time burns 747 calories - almost 100 calories more.

I appreciate standing still uses some muscles and burns calories but surely it cannot be more than walking at 2.5 mph?

With that logic, a car would burn more fuel when parked than when driving along the road?

Any thoughts?

Replies

• ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    Not true. I use a HRM and standing my heart rate goes down.
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    That's really odd! Definitely a fault of MFP. I think I need to invest in a HRM asap!
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    That's really odd! Definitely a fault of MFP. I think I need to invest in a HRM asap!

Agreed.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My only thought is that it CAN'T be right.

However, does MFP's exercise database really calculate calories burned for your current weight or just for an average weight (eg. many cardio machines are calibrated for 68kg/150lbs unless you can enter something more accurate)?
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I don't agree with the calculations for walking/standing but it is true that an idling vehicle burns more gas than when it is driving down the road. lol
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    Sounds like a fluke to me. Someone must have entered it with a little wishful thinking in mind. You can usually compare exercises at livestrong.com, but standing isn't even listed. That should say enough.....
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    My only thought is that it CAN'T be right.

However, does MFP's exercise database really calculate calories burned for your current weight or just for an average weight (eg. many cardio machines are calibrated for 68kg/150lbs unless you can enter something more accurate)?

@Roanne, they're general numbers. The only real way to determine calories burned per session is using a HRM. Just like with BMR, the output of your efforts changes with your weight.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    But even using a HRM, how would you calculate how many of those would've been burned anyways? It kills me when people post that they got a new HRM, wore it ALL DAY and burned 2700 calories and enter it into their diary. lol