why's there a protein limit?

Options
i understand limiting the intake of calories, carbs and fat but why is there a protein limit? i thought protein would've been A-OK!

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    just the way it is set on mfp - you can manually change them under the goals tab. I had to increase mine.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    there is such a thing as 'too much' protein if you aren't balancing it out correctly. side-effects = extreme constipation/dehydration. for example, if you're drinking 1-2 protein shakes a day, you need to counteract all that protein with enough fiber to keep you 'regular'.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Protein is "A-OKAY" just like above poster says - it's just a setting. If you're wondering, you should be eating 1g to 1.5g (if you want to gain muscle) per lbs of weight :) So if your ideal weight is 120lbs, then you should be eating like 120g of protein a day.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It is possible to consume too much protein. As a poster above pointed out it can cause constipation, but it can also cause or exacerbate kidney problems. There is an ideal percentage of our diet that should come from protein. Consuming too much over a long period of time can be too hard for your body to process.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i understand limiting the intake of calories, carbs and fat but why is there a protein limit? i thought protein would've been A-OK!

Those are goals, not limits. MFP defaults the protein goal to 15% of total calories (even a balanced diet can consist of protein um to 30%). You can change this to better suit your diet.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Protein is "A-OKAY" just like above poster says - it's just a setting. If you're wondering, you should be eating 1g to 1.5g (if you want to gain muscle) per lbs of weight :) So if your ideal weight is 120lbs, then you should be eating like 120g of protein a day.

Yep - agree. I'm not a big exerciser (I do just enough to maintain) so I stick with around .7-.8g per pound of body weight but do go over and under - it changes daily. And it's only bad for your kidneys if you have kidney problems - i.e. renal disease. It won't cause kidney problems (or liver problems). Yet another one of those myths that just won't go away. How can something that our body and cells are made of be so bad for us (this also applies to saturated fat)?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/protein-kidneys/ (Mark can be a little sarcastic but I love him for it).
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I see my protein as a goal more than a limit....I strive to go over it everyday
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    To much protien can be taxing on your kidneys and your liver. There is such a thing as to much. With that said, mfps protien goals are fairly low so if you go over a bit you really don't have anything to worry about.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    What Ziaki and NoAdditives said; however, MFP's default protein limit is too low, so feel free to up it. Just don't go crazy and eat like 300g every day.

When I first started out, I reduced my fat intake to an extreme degree, and it gave me constipation even though I ate plenty of fiber and drank lots of water. Consuming more fat definitely helped.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Excess protein, just like excess sugars, carbs, etc can be stored as fat.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Longer term, too much protein can damage your liver. Even short term, if you've upped your protein to build muscle, you should be drinking even more than the recommended 8 cups a day.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Excess protein, just like excess sugars, carbs, etc can be stored as fat.

Yes but protein is a macronutrient that is used for more than just fuel. It plays a very important role in the body. Fat also plays an important role. (Sugar and carbs are just immediate fuel. They play no other role in the body - the body can make glucose if it needs it - by pulling from our fat storage).
  • sasy_sfinx
    Options
    yeah thanks guys and gals.
    even when i posted i knew i'd used the wrong word with 'limit' and did mean target/goal, just couldn't articulate myself.
    i have gone over with protein every day and don't see it as an issue personally was just confused as i know protein is literally the building block for the cells in our bodies. saying that i'd not considered those using this site for gaining weight/muscle. but absolutely agree with most comments that everything in moderation :)
    thanks for clarifying x
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    You know the one thing that I don't eat in "moderation" is saturated fat. And since I have started this I have lost more body fat than I did the first 6 months doing things in "moderation". I do 2 things in "moderation". Carbs and exercise. Yet my belly is flatter and I am healthier than I have been in my whole life. And I weigh less than I have since before puberty. I'm 40 years old.