Just realised how far I've gone

Options
I looked up magnolia's weight on 'insatiable' because she has my dream body. She's 121lbs at 5'6 which I thought was too tiny but I checked her BMI, and it's 19.5. That's when it hit me, I'm almost 170lbs at 5'8. I could lose almost 50lbs, almost a third of my body weight, and still be a healthy weight. I'm so confused, I don't know if I have 10 or 15 or 40lbs to lose. I don't know how to be happy. Does anyone have any guidance?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    It’s up to you to answer that question. A lot of us who don’t know the answer for ourselves use BMI as a guideline, and if you want you can, too. But you can also decide based on where you feel happiest, healthiest, and have the most energy. Or you can decide based on what you see in the mirror. Which is most important to you?
    Who is Magnolia?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Rule #1, don't ever compare your body to someone else's.

Rule #2, see Rule #1.

When you feel healthy and aren't limited in your day to day functions by your body size, then you're at a good weight. Don't go for a number on the scale. Go for how your body feels.

It frightens me that you know what this person's bmi is. 😞
  • OkieFitness
    OkieFitness Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the previous posts. It’s more about the psychology and your thinking than your appearnece - or what Hollywood says is ideal. When I was younger I felt best at 160. But now that I’m older? I’m shooting for 170 just to see how I feel. Who knows...maybe 155 will be better? Or 175. Won’t know until I get there to evaluate. The good news is that you can always monitor and adjust from wherever you are especially once you making healthy progress.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You'll know it when you see it in the mirror
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    That answer is totally up to you. No one else can tell you who you'll feel at a certain weight. AND NEVER compare yourself to someone else.

I'm 5'11 and my weight ranges between 142 & 165 depending on what kind of mood I'm in. Seriously. No one can tell a difference between the low end and the high end but me. I started in early September at 165, now down to 153 and not one SOUL has noticed, not even my boyfriend. I told him I was down 12lbs and he kinda looked at me like "where?". I can tell. My clothes can tell. But being tall, I guess I hide it well.

This time, my goal is to land at about 147-150 and stay there for as long as I can. That's where I feel good.

My advice to you is to set mini goals. 10lbs at a time. Until you feel good. Don't get wrapped up in a number. Because that number only matters to you.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,514 Member
    Options
    Oh, hoooooooney!!!!! In these days of photoshop, highlighting cheekbones and body parts to obtain “contours”, surgically removing a rib to get a tiny waist, Botox, fillers, and people aggressively gyroscoping their body into the most advantageous position to impress someone on Instagram, why oh why oh WHY would you want to look like some phony you saw online?

To thine own self be true!

In my travels, and in the photogenic and touristy small town I live in, I constantly run into these posers and their photographers. What egos! I guess someone looks or they wouldn’t keep doing it, but oh my goodness, the constant search for self validation just makes me feel sorry for them. (Once I get beyond how supremely stupid they look.)