How do you stay positive?

How do y’all keep your patience and positive attitude up? I often feel frustrated with how slow it is to take off weight vs how darn fast it seems to pile on! 😂 I need an attitude adjustment!

Replies

• denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    You are not a waste of time. You are progressing, becoming a better version of yourself. As the person above said, time is going to pass anyway. You could make progress in that time, or you could not change at all. The choice is yours!
  • OkieFitness
    OkieFitness Posts: 43 Member
    Realizing that we have NO idea what our bodies (and minds) are capable of achieving. That’s a GOOD thing! Because we don’t know that potential? It means the positive possibilities are endless! I just read a story about a 70 year old gent playing RUGBY and kicking the *kitten* of guys 1/3 off his age. Or the elderly swimmer (with asthma) that swam from Cuba to Miami ! Now those are extraordinary examples but wouldn’t you be happy to accomplish 1/100th of what they’ve done? Guess what....YOU CAN! And Maybe even more. You just have to decide to get going and keep going - through the ups and downs, through those split second decisions - positive or negative - that when added up? Make a huge difference down the pike.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I compare how long it takes to let things go compared to how long it took me to get back to square. It took me 14 years to get out of shape, but only a year to get back to into it.

I established discipline so I don't have to rely on being negative or positive. I'm just following a script of continued progress.

I embrace the suck of the bad times knowing this will only make the good times seem just that much better.
  • rumbaimom
    rumbaimom Posts: 46 Member
    So much wisdom ! Thank you!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I set 5 pound goals. They're easy to reach and it helps keep me positive.

I also look forward to my meals. I eat tons of seafood, which makes me a very happy girl.

Between my weight loss and inches lost so far, how could I be anything but happy?

I also don't care how long it takes to get to my overall goal range. I didn't put this fat on overnight. It won't come off overnight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Set other goals as well, like trying new ingredients or recipes, new exercises, new walking or running routes, etc. That way you are always succeeding in some areas whereas others might be more challenging.
  • PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    rumbaimom wrote: »
    How do y’all keep your patience and positive attitude up? I often feel frustrated with how slow it is to take off weight vs how darn fast it seems to pile on! 😂 I need an attitude adjustment!

set a long range goal and then some short range goals each time you achieve the small goal reward your self somehow. establish a system to reward yourself based on how challenging the goal was
    for example one time when i entered a weight loss challenge and won i rewarded myself by going out and buying some new workout clothes. hope this helps
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I learned to quit looking at it as just losing weight, just getting from here to there. And being realistic about the weight gain. It did not happen in 3 months or 6 months it was a number of years.

So first thing I did was I joined one of the monthly challenges on MFP that is to lose 5lbs per month. I still have lots to go so works for me. We hoorah each other on.

I set up goals of 8% weight loss, and each time I hit one, I set aside some me fun money. Cannot be spent on food. Saving for fun vacation money.

I kept one pair of the biggest size I was wearing, and have already donated everything else from those sizes. I have lost 65 lbs. So those big clothes donated, or tore up and use as rags. And when I get to goal I will do again.

I love to cook and bake, but the old ways, have to be changed. So I try a new recipe every week. Some are keepers, and some I think how did they get 4 stars bleh.

It takes time, no doubt about it, but I think the key is we slowly change our mindset and goals. Good Luck.
  • mitch239
    mitch239 Posts: 77 Member
    Imo one of the best ways is to make friends on here, people that you can actually interact with and make a difference along side. I have lots of people on here that I've never met in real life and probably never will, but seeing as we are all attempting the same thing then it means that we can help and motivate each other. Being on here means its no longer a solo mission and there are millions of people that are willing to give you a helping hand and a head up on the things to be doing. This place is great for this type of things.