Skinny fat what should I start with I'm a newb

Options
I'm a 5'3 104 lbs female and Im skinny fat (24%) and want to fix it. I'm pretty new to the whole fitness thing so I'm not really sure what to do and what to start doing to get low body fat and higher muscle mass. I'm also not sure what the proper macros would be for this. In the meantime I'm just doing some lower body exercises and ab exercises to start with something but I feel that I need proper advice on how to really get results. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I would start with a strength training program. If you are looking for free Fitness Blender has great videos for all levels, and they have some programs you can purchase for fairly cheap (like $5 I think).

If it’s in your budget you could also look at getting a personal trainer who could help you with both your diet and exercise. It can take a few tries to get a good one though.
  • Zara_Pi
    Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'3 104 lbs female and Im skinny fat (24%) and want to fix it. I'm pretty new to the whole fitness thing so I'm not really sure what to do and what to start doing to get low body fat and higher muscle mass. I'm also not sure what the proper macros would be for this. In the meantime I'm just doing some lower body exercises and ab exercises to start with something but I feel that I need proper advice on how to really get results. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. I have similar stats to you and also have the same issue of being slim looking but high body fat. Currently trying to eat healthy and start doing gentle exercise. Then will be looking to start a lifting program. Add me and we can motivate each other.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Lifting program is a must. Strong curves is as good as a place as any to start but literally any beg. training program will pay some rewards.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5 and about 105lbs. I'm similar stats but have been doing excersise with weight for about 3 years. My BF has dropped from 25 to 19. Tracking food on mfp, eating healthy about 80% of the time 🙈 and running twice a week
  • fleximandi
    fleximandi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i’m about the same stats — 5’4” and 107 — i do cardio barre three times a week and try to stay right at or slightly below the recommended calorie intake on mfp (i don’t eat the extra workout calories). barre is my fave way to lean out and get stronger, while also building muscle. it’s basically a ballerinas workout — who doesn’t want that body type 😍 i’ve had three kids and after each baby, i’ve gotten back to my pre-baby size very well with their classes. they’re very effective. i’d see if you can find some good barre classes near you. they’re fantastic. and i’m totally peer pressure motivated though, so if the whole class is doing something, i won’t give up.

add me & we can motivate each other! ♥️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

As long as 20-25% of your diet comes from protein you don't have to be overly concerned with macros.

Since you are a newb, starting with a trainer will be helpful. In your case I'd join a gym, get a few sessions with a personal trainer (likely you will get at least one session free with membership) and tell them you want to "lift like a man" - reference The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess.

Gyms in your area are likely running specials right now.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights but I wouldn't call you fat at all
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Higher muscle mass requires a (small) surplus of calories and a progressive weight training program. (That can be body weight, as long as it's progressive somehow.)

Where are you getting your BF% number from? If it's from a scale, it's probably wrong.
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    fleximandi wrote: »
    i’m about the same stats — 5’4” and 107 — i do cardio barre three times a week and try to stay right at or slightly below the recommended calorie intake on mfp (i don’t eat the extra workout calories). barre is my fave way to lean out and get stronger, while also building muscle. it’s basically a ballerinas workout — who doesn’t want that body type 😍 i’ve had three kids and after each baby, i’ve gotten back to my pre-baby size very well with their classes. they’re very effective. i’d see if you can find some good barre classes near you. they’re fantastic. and i’m totally peer pressure motivated though, so if the whole class is doing something, i won’t give up.

add me & we can motivate each other! ♥️

i just happened upon this forum. i danced for years but no longer can. i'm checking out this cardio barre right now - it looks amazing! thanks for posting - i'm excited to try this! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Higher muscle mass requires a (small) surplus of calories and a progressive weight training program.

Where are you getting your BF% number from? If it's from a scale, it's probably wrong.

As someone new to lifting and having a little bit of fat stores, she could make some gains eating at maintenance for the first few months at least.