are ALL healthy choice meals nastiness in plastic?

Options
2»

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I like the chicken parmesan one, with pasta and broccoli.

And yeah, I could make chicken parm homemade, but not in under 5 minutes :-)
    All you need is an afternoon to create in the kitchen and a lot of tupperwaer for the freezer.

Cook your favouite meals, portion them out and freeze them. Then when you come home and need a tasty nutritious meal, take it out the freezer and neuk it in the mircowave. 5mins and it's on the table piping hot.

I already do this for dinners once a month through a meal preparation service. I eat healthy choice/lean cuisine for lunch. I like them, they're good for portion control, and I'm pretty sure sawdust is against USDA regulations :-)
  • ChanMay
    ChanMay Posts: 39
    Options
    I agree with the others that eat is much better to cook your own however, I do pick one or two of the streamers up for emergency situations. They may not be the best choice but they are much better than take out!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Cooking is better, of course. But, we don't always have the time.

I prefer Amy's (http://www.amys.com/). Much higher quality and they have some really great ones with whole, unprocessed ingredients. None of the ones I’ve had are stored in plastic either. You can’t really get away from the sodium in frozen meals though.

Ok, this I'll agree with. If you MUST eat a frozen meal go with Amy's. No question, they are at the top. They do have low-sodium options, but, well, they taste like they need a little salt :laugh:
  • EmersonLee
    Options
    I usually buy smart ones (the broccoli alfredo, three cheese penne and santa fe rice and beans are my favs) or lean cuisine (the cheese pizza, and chicken spring rolls)
    I think it's great that others have the time/motivation, dedication to cook homemade meals for every meal. I do NOT....and Im not ashamed to say so ;) lol.
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    All frozen meals give me "digestive complications". Haven't figured out why but my body doesn't like them for some reason. I stay far away! Plus they have a ton of sodium!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    For the most part, yes. I like Amy's organic frozen meals when i'm in a pinch, but all frozen meals are crazy-loaded with salt, so watch that.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    NO ****?
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE alot of the Lean Cuisines. I know people have an issue with their sodium levels, but if you are eating low sodium the rest of the day and you aren't diagnosed with high blood pressure or whatever else, I don't think one meal a day should be an issue. On top of that, if you are working out the way you should be and sweating the way you want to, then you need some sodium.

People will also say that they don't taste the best, but for a while I was eating one for lunch EVERY weekday, and I was happy with the selection. Lots of choices and some of them kill urges, like the chicken parm or the orange chicken. Nice quick fix to stop a chinese food binge with good portion control and just enough sugars and salts to halt the takeout phone call.

As for making your own food at home as an argument to not have micro-meals. I work full-time and have enough time obligations that making homemade, healthy meals every day is not a realistic option. In an ideal world I would have a chef, or no job, or some live-in person who would either cook for me or take other responsibilities off of my shoulders so I could homecook every meal, but that is not my reality.

My suggestions for packaged frozen meals are definitely Lean Cuisines. I like the Butternut Squash Raviolis, the Turkey meal with the apple stuff in it, the chicken parm meal, and their orange chicken.
  • czarkeri
    czarkeri Posts: 16
    Options
    Lean Cuisine meals are the best- they use more herbs and generally taste better in my opinion.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You should try real food. It's delicious.
  • SharaLynnG
    SharaLynnG Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice... THAT'S what it was! I had a Steamers meal the other day... it was absolutely TERRIBLE. Waste of money.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    gotta tell ya, one of the plusses of these frozen meals is I was told I can eat 2! one never seemed to be enough!