Diabetic

Options
I just got diagnosed with Diabetes. I hate having to take medication so I’m gonna do what the doctor has been telling me to do for a while now. Eat better and exercise. Any suggestions for good food for diabetics?

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    This is the only situation where you will have to legitimately count carbohydrate grams per meal and focus on natural sources of carbs that have fiber, just to control your blood sugar. If you're overfat, focus on a calorie deficit with a hard priority on protein and reduced carbs. The better food choices are going to come from nutrient dense sources and minimally processed (natural, whole foods such as non-starchy vegetables, fresh cuts of meat, etc.). As you lose fat, your pancreas is usually able to recover its normal insulin production as your fat cells won't require as much insulin to keep fatty acids in check.

You may not want to take medication, but without any context of your current health, it might be necessary for now until you are able to completely control your glucose levels via diet and exercise. Also, do not neglect to check your blood sugar throughout the day. Fasted morning readings are going to be your baseline reading everyday. Then usually 1-2 hours before each meal just to see where you are and how each meal affects your blood sugar.
  • sreerajn
    sreerajn Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Try intermittent fasting. It works great on your blood sugar. A medically supervised regimen of intermittent fasting and Keto can even reverse the diabetic conditions. If you don't want to do Keto, talk to your doctor on getting into a regimen of intermittent fasting and low calorie (100gms)/moderate protiens/high fat diet. Use MFP to keep you accountable.

quick tips:
    1. 1 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water can help with blood sugar esp if you slip up on a meal
    2. Try to eat Fruits with Fats. For e.g; Apple slices with cheese. Fat lowers the insulin spikes in the sugar.
    3. Avoid low fat food. Fat lowers the insulin spike. Its better to have whole egg than egg white or reduced fat milk than fat free.
    4. Eat lots of vegetables to get potassium esp if you do intermittent fasting.

For inspiration, start with these videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ&list
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCRjwDs1Ek

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed with Diabetes. I hate having to take medication so I’m gonna do what the doctor has been telling me to do for a while now. Eat better and exercise. Any suggestions for good food for diabetics?

My suggestion, is to read all of the stickies. Get a food scale, and weigh all solid foods before eating. Log every bit of food that you eat.

Now here is my big suggestion and kind of goes along with some of the above comments.
    I suggest you go on a Low to Moderate Carb diet. Wait do no panic. I am not talking a KETO diet.
    50 to 100 grams of Carbs is considered Low Carb
    101 Carbs to 175 grams of Cargs is considered Moderate Carbs
    175 to 250 is kind of high moderate to getting towards regular Carbs for a diabetic.
    Rememer 15 grams equal a serving of carbs
    Also if you have a medical plan tht would cover a visit to a dietician or your Dr office can send you to one. It is well worth it.

With the carbs, and looking to lose weight. Normally the suggestion is to limit carbs from pasta, rice, white flour, starchy veges, sugar, processed foods, sweetened beverages because all of those will drive your blood sugar numbers up.

There is lots of good info out on the internet about diabetes. And I do not mean all the scams about reversing diabetes, um no maybe put in remiission, but if you go off the rails/lifestyle it comes roaring back. And apple cider is no miracle cure either.

Welcome and good luck.
  • 80sSynthwave
    80sSynthwave Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy and consistently (same time, same amount daily) and track your BG, then adjust macro ratio and calories accordingly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor refer you to a dietitian? If so, follow their advice. If not, ask for a referral. They can help you figure out how you should be eating, in a way appropriate to your medical situation. Do not mess around with diabetes.