Calorie Counting....I'm confused.

Options
So I've been working out and logging it in MFP and it adds those calories back into my daily goal. I'm set at 1200 a day but with exercise it's bringing me to 1400-1500. So how much am I supposed to eat? Today I've only netted 300-ish calories and it's 3 o'clock in the afternoon. That seems really low... Any help would he appreciated. TIA

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Make sure you don't go under 1200. So with your goal set to 1200 you need to eat back everything you burn.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    you are supposed yo eat back all of your calories... ALL of them, even the ones you burn off
  • AddieCakes
    AddieCakes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat them back. And enjoy :)
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Definitly eat all the 1400-1500 cal. Also try eating a larger breakfast you'll find very quickly that if your not eating enough your gonna start feeling very tired and un-motivated.
  • Chris_bee05
    Chris_bee05 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what's the point of burning those calories if you're just going to eat them back? Again, sorry if that's a stupid question, but I know nothing about nutrition and fitness.
  • StacyBee92
    Options
    Your "suposed" to eat your exercise calories but I think its down to the person. 300 is low but you did say it was around 3 so I'll assume you ate more after that which would bring it up.
    I'm targeted 1200 too and I tend not to eat my exercise cals if I can help it (which unfortunately isnt often!)
    Just try to get above 1000 else its unhealthy for your body and you'll just end up hording calories.
    Hope this helped!
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My wife is at the same 1200, she usually eats back her burned calories. I told her that I thought 1200 was low and that if she went over that, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Like Kendra said, you can eat back the calories you burn off, the program takes that into account.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you're set at 1200, and then you go out and exercise and burn.. let's say.. 300, then you should actually consume 1500 (1200+300). MFP counts for this, though. As long as you're in the "green" on your calories for the day, then keep eating and fueling your well deserving body! Everyone is different, though. Just do what seems to work for you! :flowerforyou:
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, here we go again.

I personally don't eat back my calories unless I feel more hungry than usual. Some people are going to tell you that you absolutley HAVE to eat them back, but really, you don't have to, it wont hinder your weight loss either way. Do what feels best for you.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this site also. It does sound odd to eat them back.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what's the point of burning those calories if you're just going to eat them back? Again, sorry if that's a stupid question, but I know nothing about nutrition and fitness.

Oh.. and my theory (I'm not doctor!) is that exercising increases your metabolism! It also builds muscle mass and makes you look like a supermodel! :happy:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

when your calories go into deficit your body goes into starvation mode, and weigt loss will be hendered
  • Chris_bee05
    Options
    Your "suposed" to eat your exercise calories but I think its down to the person. 300 is low but you did say it was around 3 so I'll assume you ate more after that which would bring it up.
    I'm targeted 1200 too and I tend not to eat my exercise cals if I can help it (which unfortunately isnt often!)
    Just try to get above 1000 else its unhealthy for your body and you'll just end up hording calories.
    Hope this helped!

Yeah I still have dinner left so that number will go up, but I don't really know what else to eat... I've had breakfast, lunch, and oatmeal for a snack and I'm full. It would be a struggle to get to 1500 on a daily basis.
  • Chris_bee05
    Options

I personally don't eat back my calories unless I feel more hungry than usual. Some people are going to tell you that you absolutley HAVE to eat them back, but really, you don't have to, it wont hinder your weight loss either way. Do what feels best for you.
    :happy:
    LOL This must be a pretty popular, heavily debated topic...
  • sheneverfails
    Options
    Eventually, if you are burning more calories than you are eating, your body will go into starvation mode and you will stop losing weight healthily, IF AT ALL. Your body begins hoarding all the fat and nutrients in order to sustain itself, and in extremes starts to cause loss of lean body mass (muscles) and this loss can even come from organs. Starvation diets (intentional or otherwise) are usually followed by very fast weight gain when the individual loses the weight and then returns to old eating habits.

EDIT - THAT SAID, I do agree with those who say - eat back your exercise calories IF you are hungry, and don't feel obligated to eat them all back. But you should be at least eating the 1200 calories/day.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

:happy:
    LOL This must be a pretty popular, heavily debated topic...

VERY popular, VERY heavily debated...
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The research I've been doing on this question (I wondered too) indicates that if you're in the 'obese' category on your BMI, you have a bit more leeway on the net calories. I don't think MFP accounts for that in their ominous DANGER you're going to starve warning, but you're not really in danger of starvation mode with a high BMI as long as you get the minimum 1200 calories. Less than that should only be done under medical supervision.

SO - always eat at least the minimum and listen to your body - follow your hunger signals on the exercise calories. This advice varies the closer you get to a healthy body weight.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

When MFP gives you a calorie goal, your weight loss deficit is already built in to that goal. Because the site knows people might say they're going to exercise 7 days a week, and only actually go three times. So if you tell the site you want to lose a pound a week, the calorie goal it gives you is ALREADY 500 calories below what is needed to maintain your current weight. If you DO exercise, it adds those calories back to your goal so that you don't create a calorie deficit that is too large.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this site also. It does sound odd to eat them back.

If you don't eat them back your body has a shortfall in calories and can store the fat and burn muscle instead.
    1200 is supposed to be the minimum calories needed to fuel the body for a person who does no exercise.
    It's much healthier to exercise and burn say 300 calories and eat 1500 than it is to do no exercise at all and eat just the 1200.

The exercise part is more about getting our bodies in to shape than just an aid to burn calories. Exercise = Lower risk of heart disease and a number of other diseases, better sleep, better confidence, less stress etc etc

There is method behind the madness :smile:
  • souki19
    souki19 Posts: 58
    Options
    i am also put at 1200 calories, i usually workout for about an hour a dad in which i burn about 700 calories. since i am all about numbers, instead of putting all of burned calories in and eating them all. i usually put about 400 and eat it. so i usually eat about 1600, however, if i feel hungry i eat more and i feel full i eat less. i don't like depriving myself :) you have to do what works for you and something that you can stick with :)