sore knees, and not in a good way!

Options
so on the days i do lunges and squats i end up with sore knees. the spot that hurts (according to my hubby, the still playing softball with 2 bad knees and not a doctor man) on the outside of my knee is my acl. yes, i do my warm up and cool down stretches. and i don't do a full lunge or squat because my legs aren't strong enough yet. and it only happens on lunge and squat days. i can walk the treadmill at a 5+ incline with no problem. a friend who had knee surgery did side leg lifts in rehab and said they helped. but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem an what worked for you. thnx homies! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, would like to see what people say!
  • misslyssa319
    misslyssa319 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    well, i guess we are the only ones it happens to! too bad for us...
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Are you over-extending your knees?

***Disclaimer - I am NOT a doc or any other health professional***

I've heard/read that when you do lunges that your knee - when bent - should not go past your toes. If it does, you need to adjust your back leg (move it further away) so that you shin stays at a right angle to the ground. Do a quick google image search for "proper lunge."
  • misslyssa319
    Options
    no
  • Munched
    Munched Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking about 10 years ago. At that time I bought a treadmill as wanted to get fit and was afraid I would put on lots of weight not smoking anymore. The treadmill was great, it did the job, but I found after some months that my hips and knees really hurt. About 2 years ago I sold it and bought an elliptical trainer. Hips and knees now fine!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sounds daft but are you wearing support trainers when doing the moves? You need good arch support to keep your legs aligned properly, otherwise the kneecap can 'track' incorrectly when doing moves such as squats, putting stress on the surrounding muscles and ligaments.

Also have a think about getting a gait analysis on your feet done at a running/sports shop. I've suffered with knee pain since I was a child and have been on prescription anti-inflammatories for 23 years (since I was 14). I've recently undergone lots of tests for arthritis and had been resigned to the fact that I was going to be crippled in years to come.

Then I only found out last week - after paying privately to see a physiotherapist (think they call them a physical therapist in the US) - that I'm a serious overpronator, so my arches are too low. I've got an appointment booked with a podiatrist and the physio has reassured me that this problem that has been ruining my life is fixable with therapy and special insoles.

It's perhaps an extreme case, but it makes me wonder how many other people have knee pain simply because their feet aren't supported well.
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I agree with having your gait and shoes checked! I went into Fleet Feet in Vacaville, and the set me up with the proper shoes and some support inserts cuz my arches are not what they use to be after the twins!! :0

Hope you feel better soon!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    When you squat or lunge, does your knees come together or travel inward?
  • misslyssa319
    Options
    When you squat or lunge, does your knees come together or travel inward?

no. I made sure to watch a video before trying them and did in front of a mirror to make sure my form was right.