Anyone Have/Had Scoliosis and Surgery?

Options
Hey there,

Looking for some people to connect with on my "special" situation. At age 12 I had herrington rods put around my spine because I had scoliosis. All is well at this point but I need to make sure I am exercising enough to maintain a healthy and non-painful lifestyle.

So I question what types of workouts you may enjoy doing the most and what seems to be the most effective for you...
Also, if you've had the surgery, have you ever tried pilates or yoga? I am interested in trying either/or... Not sure if either one would be compatible with me since my spine doesn't bend much.

Thanks!!

Katie

Replies

• Michelle9939
    Options
    Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone! You are standing upright the entire time. It's just walking and some other steps. I believe she has 1 mile to 5 mile DVDs out.
    I have never had the surgery you are talking about but I just wanted to recommend something for you.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My sister has scoliosis and had surgery later in life. Her doctor recommended swimming or walking for her.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My flatmate had scoliosis and had surgery when she was about 14 I think. She has done pilates classes and exercises just like anyone else would.
  • krlong6
    krlong6 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you! I'll look into it!
  • emmy200
    emmy200 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello, I also had the same surgery you had for scoloisis. My main form of exercise is running. I just love the way it makes me feel and drop weight. But I do have to say that my hips do hurt sometimes. I try to stretch before and after any activity. I have done yoga and that is good too. Have you had any problems with your rods/ back? I have not, other than pain from time to time. Would love to talk to you about this b/c I do think things are alittle different for us. Friend me if you would like to correspond back and forth!
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    My sister had the surgery as well at 16. They said swimming would be great for her, strengthening her back and ab muscles to keep her spine supported but depending on where the surgery is ab exercises can be harder to do. I have it as well (but no surgery) and love yoga, they tell you just go go as far as your able and your flexibility will improve over time.
  • krlong6
    krlong6 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hello, I also had the same surgery you had for scoloisis. My main form of exercise is running. I just love the way it makes me feel and drop weight. But I do have to say that my hips do hurt sometimes. I try to stretch before and after any activity. I have done yoga and that is good too. Have you had any problems with your rods/ back? I have not, other than pain from time to time. Would love to talk to you about this b/c I do think things are alittle different for us. Friend me if you would like to correspond back and forth!

Emmy, I am excited to try yoga - Once an instructor actually told me to skip taking the class because she wouldn't have time to focus on me and my needs.. So that kind of killed the motivation. I've moved and have an opportunity to take the class through my university so I think I'll give that a shot!
    I have been lucky with my rods and back, overall. If I'm not active, my lower back seems to stiffen up and is moderately painful. I have muscle relaxers for those nights but try not to abuse that.... because really, it's my body telling me to stop being lazy!! ;)
  • Jacinta130
    Options
    Hi, i may be a little late to join in here but i had scoliosis surgery nearly 20 years ago now and i don't and won't let it stop me doing anything.
    I do any type of work out my favourite being TurboFire but i love swimming, walking etc etc
    And recently doing a tandom parachute jump and loved it!

I know everyones surgery is different but only you will know what you can and can't do and you will only find that out by having a go yourself and deciding from there :-)