Can't wrap my head around CICO

Options
harley79
harley79 Posts: 79 Member
Hi starting over again I'm 49 and weigh 301 MFP has my calories at 2000 which I'm fine with but is it really just as easy as eating what u want as long as you stay within your calorie allowance

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I concur--get a digital food scale and start weighing your food. Log everything you eat and drink. Stay within your daily calorie goal. It isn't necessary to exercise, but will help you look better after you've lost. Good luck!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    To add to the above, yes it's that easy. And as you drop the pounds, you will be utilizing fewer calories so you may find that at some point you need to eat less than 2000 calories/day to continue losing. As you drop weight, update MFP :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    To add to the above, yes it's that easy. And as you drop the pounds, you will be utilizing fewer calories so you may find that at some point you need to eat less than 2000 calories/day to continue losing. As you drop weight, update MFP :)

To add to this point the confusing thing for people with more generous starting allowances is that some people do not get them. Some people start with pretty meager allowances and they have to eat more food that you might normally associate with weight loss to stay in the goal and still have some treats.

As you lose weight your calories will decline because your body will need less energy as you get smaller. Depending on how much you have to lose and how active you stay you may eventually find that you have to compromise more. The good news is that you do not have to start there. You can make small changes as you need so that you can become accustomed to the changes instead of a big drastic overhaul.

When I started I had a huge allowance and I took advantage of it and still lost a lot of weight. It really helped me because in the past I would deprive myself of everything I thought I had to cut. These days my calorie allowance is much less and I have changed quite a bit from the guy who was eating a lot of treat food. I still eat it but I have to moderate it more now. I am okay with that because ultimately if I do not permanently change my habits as I lose I am at greater risk of regaining.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, if you are eating something that doesn't have nutritional label, don't trust the very first item you search for, especially the MFP database. Do a couple MFP and google searches for the item you are going to eat just to find a consistent entry. A lot of items in the MFP database are underestimated and not reliable.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    it is pretty easy to wrap your head around, in fact no diet is easier.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yup. I’ve lost 50 lbs without having to cut out any of the foods I love.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    yes, I am a true believer of CICO. Down 78 lbs as of today. Staying CONSISTENT with your calorie deficit is key!
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    It’s just math. CICO works and it’s simple.

That said, I found that I started getting judicious with my calories. If you have 2000 cals/day to work with, you’ll soon find that you don’t want to blow half of them on one huge high calorie meal. You may decide that it’s better to eat some lean meat and veggies for a 600 calorie meal because it will make you feel more satisfied longer, than eating a giant 600 calorie muffin and you’re famished 2 hours later.

Good luck!

Yup. It's all about figuring out how to best get the most bang for your caloric buck. This will vary widely from person to person as it's based on personal food preferences.

Absolutely this!
    I'm down 70lbs and eat whatever I fancy. However, I've found that as I lost the weight and my allowance reduced accordingly I started making different choices about how to "spend" my calories. I often have arguments with myself about whether or not something is worth it.
    I love sweet things, especially chocolate, but now instead of having a bar of chocolate I have a rice cake with chocolate on it - I still get my chocolate fix but save about 400 cals.

The more logging you do the easier it gets as you then become accustomed to the calorie content of things, but don't get complacent - as others have said weigh as accurately as you can.