treadmill + incline not in exercise database?

Options
I went to the fitness center at school today and busted my *kitten* on the treadmill (well for my weight anyway lol) And the only option for exercise in the database is "walking" at 3.5 mph...i had the treadmill on an incline. How do i factor that in? My heart rate monitor says i burned 680 some calories. Should i just go with that?

Replies

• mcgowa67
    mcgowa67 Posts: 10
    Options
    it says you can just pick the closest exercise and plug in time and calories burned if it came from a machine. Thats what I do :)
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    How long where you on the treadmill? Did the treadmill have a calorie read out?
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I would go with your HRM. you can add your exercise too.
  • kb8611
    kb8611 Posts: 1
    Options
    I made my own exercise, Walking 4,0 Uphill 20 min.
  • wanetam
    wanetam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    if you have a HRM, always go with that. You can add a new exercise and call it whatever you want ex: 'treadmill on incline'
    Sounds like a great workout : )
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    you could always try the "race walking" option :tongue: but yeah, that's the one I use, even though I set it to about 7 mph. You could just record the calories burned though couldn't you?
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You could enter "Hiking, climbing hills (carrying <10 lb load)", but I would just add it as "walking" at whatever speed you were going at or just manually add what your HRM says.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I entered "Walking 4.0 @ 5% incline". You can go to ask.com and type in your exercise and get many results on how much you may have burned. Then enter it into the database.
  • juggalotus
    juggalotus Posts: 227
    Options
    thanks guys! And for all of you who were asking, i was on the treadmill for 60 min. 2.0 incline (i know, not much) and 3.5-3.6 miles per hour. I just don;t want to over estimate, you know?
  • JLove2Zumba
    Options
    I have had the same issue.. I wear my polar HRM and I am burning 500-520 calories in 70 minutes of Incline walking.. So I just use walking uphill at 3.5 and add my calorie burn in.. I am walking mostly at 4.0 mph and there is no option.. Your HRM is based on what your Body is burning. Definately use that as your measurement!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do the treadmill, I alwaysss mix it up between inclines and speeds. So, instead, I just log it as treadmill and type in the number of calories I burned from the machine. :)
  • DakLady
    DakLady Posts: 3
    Options
    You put in the closest you can get on a chart than change the calories burned as stated on machine,,the incline is figured into the burned calories, Good Luch
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I do that kind of exercise on my treadmill, 60 min, 4 km max, with incline varying but going up to 5. Calories burned: 204 as per the machine. I have a Schwinn.
  • jensin2grapes
    jensin2grapes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can't afford the heart rate monitor yet and I also did not find several exercises that I do such as Balance Ball Full Body workout on the program, so I went on the internet and searched calorie calculator for heart rate and found one that you can approximate and get pretty close to calories burned by plugging in your informatiion. You have to monitor your own heart rate at different intervals and take the average. Then creat the new excercise on your journal and add the calories that the calculator says you burned. Here is the link: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx :wink: