How to fight hunger

This morning for breakfast I had cerial and milk

For dinner I had 3 boiled eggs with ham and coleslaw and cucumber and 3 little fish cake thingys

For tea I had carrot and swede mash like that’s it because I didn’t have enough calories left for anything else

For snack I had 2 bananas and a 90 calorie chocolate bar

I just feel starved just want to eat my whole fridge I always get days like this how do you just ignore it

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,090 Member
    Distract yourself? For me, exercising/going for a walk works well since I can't eat at the same time and it means I can eat a bit more.

As a side note, how many calories are you eating? You might be restricting your calories too much.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    what is your calorie target? Height, weight, activity, weight history?
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Try skipping breakfast and eat a larger lunch or dinner. No idea what tea is.
  • ashleymulvey6837
    ashleymulvey6837 Posts: 20 Member
    Tea is dinner where I am lol that’s what we call it we say breakfast dinner and tea
  • ashleymulvey6837
    My calorie thing is 1,389 xx
  • ashleymulvey6837
    Tea is dinner where I am sorry xx
  • psychod787
    open up your diary as well.... What is your activity level? Job, exercise, ect?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    In addition to what’s been asked about your stats, it sounds like you had very little protein early in the day. Many people find that protein, fat, and/or fiber help them feel full. You might try having the eggs for breakfast, for example.
  • psychod787
    edited October 2019
    apullum wrote: »
    In addition to what’s been asked about your stats, it sounds like you had very little protein early in the day. Many people find that protein, fat, and/or fiber help them feel full. You might try having the eggs for breakfast, for example.

agreed, protein IS the most satiating macro per energy unit. In multiple studies, people who increased protein to roughly 30% of intake saw substantial decreases in Ad Librium food intakes. I would also recommend keep your intake of whole foods high as well. Kevin Hall's last study showed that people given Ad Librium diets of hyper-processed vs minimally processed showed a 500 calorie a day less intake on the less processed. Try adding less added fat to foods, its makes them less calorie dense and less hyper palatable. More studies showing people eating less rewarding diets, not completely bland, had spontaneous reductions in calories as well Nothing wrong with fat, just let them come from the food you are eating. Like eggs, meat, avocado, unsalted nuts, ect.

*edit* IMHO a "little" hunger at times is not always a bad thing.Many of us affluent folks have forgotten what it is like to be hungry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    My calorie thing is 1,389 xx

How tall are you, what's your current weight, and your goal weight? I'm 5'6" and would be hangry on 1,389 calories.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

If you are short and did indeed chose an appropriate rate of loss, then do look towards eating more filling foods, which for many is protein. I also need to hit my fiber goal to feel full.
  • ashleymulvey6837
    I do have eggs in the morning aswell and I’m 5ft 2 and I’m 12 stone 8 and goal weight is 8 stone
  • ashleymulvey6837
    I have eggs in morning or dinner
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    This morning for breakfast I had cerial and milk

For dinner I had 3 boiled eggs with ham and coleslaw and cucumber and 3 little fish cake thingys

For tea I had carrot and swede mash like that’s it because I didn’t have enough calories left for anything else

For snack I had 2 bananas and a 90 calorie chocolate bar

I just feel starved just want to eat my whole fridge I always get days like this how do you just ignore it

Awww, doggone it. Maybe you need some more high fiber foods like salads and fruit, roasted vegetables and more protein. Those fish cakes tend to shrink up when you bake them and there's just a tad of fish with mostly crust. How 'bout a chicken breast and some broccoli, cottage cheese or full fat yogurt with some fruit.
  • psychod787
    Kevin Halls BWP has your maintenance at 2300 calories. Not sure how that lines up with mfp, but 1300 calories might be too low.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I do have eggs in the morning aswell and I’m 5ft 2 and I’m 12 stone 8 and goal weight is 8 stone

You said that you had milk and cereal for breakfast.
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    I used snacks between meals (and sometimes for meals) and made sure they were low calorie (110 calorie) high protein (about 10-12g) and had a few grams of fiber. This was to be satiating to ward off hunger. Worked well for me.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Staying hydrated is important for me to avoid feeling hungry all the time. I try to drink water throughout the day and have a glass before and after eating.

I feel most satisfied when I eat more protein and carbs and lower fat. Fiber helps too.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    I'm 5 2 and at your goal weight.this week I go to maintenance calories which is the calorie level you are aiming for now. I've sent you a friend request so you can see my 1200 calorie diary these past months. Let's be friends.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2019
    Veg is your friend. Cereal is (probably) your enemy. I find cereal does not hold my hunger at all. Nor does milk. Eggs are good. Maybe you need to find different snacks. Bananas don't really fill me up, and they are very sugary. Chocolate just makes me want more chocolate.

Look out for skyr yogurt. It's full of protein, thick and tasty. Something like that for breakfast with a few berries, or maybe some soaked oats, could be good if you need a quick brekky.

I'm guessing you're in the UK. Matteson do great little bags of roast chicken bites at 43 calories a bag. They are much more satisfying than carby stuff. If you like prawns, you are onto a winner. Prawn salads, stir fried prawns with loads of veg. Actually stir fries with loads of veg and pretty much any protein are good and filling.

Coleslaw is good if you make it yourself but I won't go near the shop bought stuff as it seems very calorific. So full of mayo.

In terms of ignoring hunger, my strategy is to have a mug of green tea or black coffee if I feel hungry. I promise myself a snack if I still feel hungry half an hour later, but usually I don't.